CoinPeople.com

Should I slab?

mishkind

Hi,

I received a number of 1oz gold coins (maple leaf and buffalo) for my wedding. They are currently unprotected. I am wondering if it is worth it to have them graded and slabbed, or more generally, when is it worth it to have something graded and slabbed?

If I don't slab, any advice on air tite with or without the ring?

thanks,

mishkin

thanks everyone.

So am I right to think that the reasoning for the above recommendation is that the value of the bullion is the precious metal itself and not so much the coin, thus the grading of it won't really change it's value?

The only speculative investment I could think of is the 1979 maple leaf, because that was the first year the maple leaf was minted. I was thinking of having this slabbed and then passing it down a couple generations. Or even for something like this, would you think an air-tite is good enough?

thanks everyone.

So am I right to think that the reasoning for the above recommendation is that the value of the bullion is the precious metal itself and not so much the coin, thus the grading of it won't really change it's value?

The only speculative investment I could think of is the 1979 maple leaf, because that was the first year the maple leaf was minted. I was thinking of having this slabbed and then passing it down a couple generations. Or even for something like this, would you think an air-tite is good enough?

Yes, by definition bullion means that it's valued for it's intrinsic (metal) value, rather than a collector value. There are some "bullion" coins (such as Silver eagle proofs, 25th anniversary Silver Eagle Set, etc) that have collector value. But regular bullion maples, eagles, etc don't have much, if any, collector value above their bullion value.

The only speculative investment I could think of is the 1979 maple leaf, because that was the first year the maple leaf was minted.

Around here the early 999 1 oz maples trade at a slight discount.

Around here the early 999 1 oz maples trade at a slight discount.

Really? That is odd. It's only about $1.50 less gold in a .999 1oz coin vs a .9999 1oz coin.

FWIW the 1979 mintage of 1,000,000 is the 5th highest of the series (up until 2005 at least, my Charlton guide is kinda old).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived