CoinPeople.com

How do you store your coins?

cvargo

Obviously I think it comes down to preference on whether you use flips, binder, etc. So I want to know after you use prefered method to protect your treasures then where do you put them? At a safety deposit box, in a safe, the mason jar in the back yard under the tree?

My collection is growing fast and I am currently using a decent sized fire/water proof safe bolted down in my basement with product inside to prevent water from getting locked inside from humidity and other factors.

The majority of my coins reside in safe deposit at a local bank. I do have recent purchases at home and since I'm doing this photography project I've been pulling a box out of the bank. Photographing it. Trading for the next box, etc.

My raw coins are either in 2x2s - World or Danscos for US. Some of my common world stuff just lives in my bookcase rather than the bank. Safedeposit boxes are getting expensive these days. The larger boxes that I use are now a bit over $100 each per year.

The majority of my coins reside in safe deposit at a local bank. I do have recent purchases at home and since I'm doing this photography project I've been pulling a box out of the bank. Photographing it. Trading for the next box, etc.

My raw coins are either in 2x2s - World or Danscos for US. Some of my common world stuff just lives in my bookcase rather than the bank. Safedeposit boxes are getting expensive these days. The larger boxes that I use are now a bit over $100 each per year.

That's just about exactly my situation as well. I seldom have more than a dozen or so coins at home at one time, usually the newest acquisitions which haven't been photographed yet.

I mostly use 2x2s. Most of my coins are in the cardboard 2x2s, but I am gravitating to the PVC-free/Safe-flip clear 2 pouch flips these days. Just about everything of substantial value is in my safe box at all times.

I don't think you can get better security for the buck than with a good bank's safe deposit box. I have complete trust in my major Canadian bank. If I lived in the States I doubt I'd have the same trust with a local/small chain bank. Maybe not even a larger one either.

With the cost of a safe deposit box, that is why I broke down and purchased a safe that is bolted into the ground in my basement. Inside of that i set up shelves to house all my containers and folders. Total investment was around $1800. 1 safe deposit box here costs around $150 (USD) a year, so after 12 years and frequent trips to the bank I figure it pays for itself a lot sooner. If I had a coin valued at a crazy amount of money then maybe it would stay at the bank. But I love being able to show my collection to family, I am proud of the work and time my grandfather and I have invested

With the cost of a safe deposit box, that is why I broke down and purchased a safe that is bolted into the ground in my basement. Inside of that i set up shelves to house all my containers and folders. Total investment was around $1800. 1 safe deposit box here costs around $150 (USD) a year, so after 12 years and frequent trips to the bank I figure it pays for itself a lot sooner. If I had a coin valued at a crazy amount of money then maybe it would stay at the bank. But I love being able to show my collection to family, I am proud of the work and time my grandfather and I have invested

Don't get me wrong, I hate having my coins in the bank. I enjoy my collection a lot more when I can play around with it at my will. For example I have 6 large boxes of slabbed coins. When I get new coins I'd really like to place them in the boxes in order. I like denomination, date, mm for order for mine. It's totally impractical with the bank thing. Getting the boxes opened at once is a hassle for sure. The bank ladies are none too happy about it the few times that I've done that. So I just add them to my collection. Then they go into the box that I'm currently filling which goes into the newest safe deposit box and whalla that's it.

You should have seen the hassle in searching for a few coins that I wanted for PCI this year. I has forgotten exactly where they were. I ended up spending a lot of time digging. BUT...I'm not willing to go the safe at home route. Here it attracts too much attention. Safes of any weight have to be delivered and installed. Safes without the basic weight are far too easy to be stolen or forced open, etc.

Normal coins (like modern coins that I don't seriously collect, or the tons of Yugoslavia, Spanish pre-Euro, etc. coins that I get in bulk lots) are kept in zip-lock bags which are grouped together by country/continent in a file binder and kept on a bookshelf.

Coins that I actively collect (My British monarch collection (so far at Charles II), my Swiss collection, US collection, Commonwealth collection, etc.) or coins that just seem pretty are kept in coin albums or in 2x2s.

Proof sets and Bullion are kept in a big chest thats tucked away in a safe corner, generally when showing people some coins from my collection I never show them whats in the chest, only the stuff in my coin albums or file binders.

Banknotes are stored in a delft tin box that looks almost like this one il_fullxfull.255819121.jpg

Even though I like collecting banknotes, I don't have one thats valuable enough that can't be placed in the tin box.

And for safety, my collection is guarded by my three tiny yet ferocious dogs (Well...one is insane, the other two just have a strong bark).

But since I'm away for university currently, everything I buy goes in to a coin album or in 2x2s which are kept in a tin box.

You should have seen the hassle in searching for a few coins that I wanted for PCI this year. I has forgotten exactly where they were. I ended up spending a lot of time digging. BUT...I'm not willing to go the safe at home route. Here it attracts too much attention. Safes of any weight have to be delivered and installed. Safes without the basic weight are far too easy to be stolen or forced open, etc.

I was MOST incensed when my safe arrived and it was delivered by a large truck, pulling a large trailer, with "National Security Safe" emblazoned all the f*** over it so big it could be read from space.

If I ever buy a safe again it will be a stipulation of the purchase that it arrive in an unmarked truck, or they can lose my business.

I have some slab boxes, set up to house my eventual US Type set, which is still 50 percent air. The higher denominations are mostly empty. For storage in a safe deposit box (which I still have, but I only have to pay $60 for it) I consolidate into some of the cardboard boxes sized to hold slabs.

If I decided to go to a "maximum security" posture, I'd put very hard to replace stuff (like early US coins) in the safe deposit box, and keep modern proofs and bullion in the safe... annotating what was in there for insurance purposes. If that stuff got stolen it could be replaced readily, but it would be hard to replace my 1807 half dollar. (And what little is left of my Russian collection, you can forget about _ever_ replacing, and that was even more true before I sold the lion's share of it.)

Archived