CoinPeople.com

Please help to ID coins / tokens ?

bulgarin

Hello and welcome to CoinPeople. Sorry I don't have any info but they look very interesting. I'm sure someone will be along to help soon.

Hello and welcome to CoinPeople. Sorry I don't have any info but they look very interesting. I'm sure someone will be along to help soon.

Thank you Art2. I looked in so many websites/books and couldn't find the similarity of any of them. I hope people on this forum will help me. )))

Hi bagerap,

Thanks for your reply. It actually made me thinking outside the box. ) - to search outside Ireland and UK ........ and I found out that this is a half real of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain.!!! It was a long way for the coin to South of Ireland. My second token is actually a coin weight. I couldn't find exact the same one online, but these two were find together, so i can assume that its Spanish as well....

This is what i found:

This stamped coin, issued by Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain, was minted in Seville at around the time of Columbus and found in Sark in 2005. The good quality of its silver made Spanish coinage desirable among traders in western Europe, and may account for this coin's survival in damp pasture on manorial land in Sark. Reáls were legal currency in England during the reign of Queen Mary, but were prohibited by Elizabeth I in 1561. Channel Islanders used several different currencies, mostly French in origin. The Sark half reál was found lying close to a silver douzain of Charles IX of France from c.1570. Sark was a stopping place for pirates in the early 16th century. It was occupied by French soldiers 1549-53 and again in 1560-62, before being permanently settled for the English Crown by Jerseyman Helier De Carteret in 1562.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nQHqaiLp-lyAHww

and from wikipadia:

1479–1516 Ferdinand and Isabella

[edit] 1497 Medina del Campo

Real ® = 34 Maravedíes (mrs)

After the Spanish kingdoms were united under Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castile and soon after the conquest of Granada, the Spanish monetary system was reformed.This caused some damage to the kingdom. The maravedí had served as the Spanish money of account since the 11th century, but on June 2, 1497 the Ordinance of Medina del Campo (site of the great international fairs) made the real the unit of account, with the maravedí defined as a fraction of it (the 34th part). The standard silver coin became the real of 3·434 g, 0·9306 fine (3·195 g silver), rated 34 maravedíes. There was also a half, a 3, and a 6-real coin. This reform adopted the excelente (called ducado from 1504) for gold, a copy of the Venetian ducat, 3·521 g, 23¾ carats fine (3484·442 mg gold), rated 375 maravedíes. A third standard coin was the blanca, a small coin of 1·198 g, worth half a maravedí. The blanca was a copper coin containing a trace of silver, a type of coin known as billon, vellón in Spanish. This was the monetary system that the Spaniards brought to the New World.

Archived