CoinPeople.com

Morgan Dollar 1884

bekiz

Not sure the picture is not the best. But the edges/teeth - dentile look off to me. Also the date looks fat. A better picture with both sides may help. Also does it weight or "feel and sound" right?

well, it is the picture I've got at the internet auction ... I will be able to touch it in couple of days ... will make better pictures as well as weigh it and check with magnet ...

For a counterfeiter, it might be worth adding an "S" mintmark to an 1884 Philadelphia Morgan dollar. But only it is in AU or better.

Chinese counterfeits of just about everything, including common-date Morgan dollars, abound. But if someone went to the trouble of faking this date, they would probably try to make it appear higher grade than this -- just IMHO.

For a counterfeiter, it might be worth adding an "S" mintmark to an 1884 Philadelphia Morgan dollar. But only it is in AU or better.

Chinese counterfeits of just about everything, including common-date Morgan dollars, abound. But if someone went to the trouble of faking this date, they would probably try to make it appear higher grade than this -- just IMHO.

that was my reasoning as well ... I've seen fake "CC" ... before bidding on this one checked the price in Red Book - not far from ASW. Checked the condition - no brainier to find much better for not that high price ...

This is just my opinion. Since I don't have the coin in hand. The 1884 S has a off center strike showing on one side the other side appears pretty normal. That raises question. Also if you look at the E and toward the fore head by the hair there are two bubbles. Should not be there. Next the E and P of E Pluribus have strange serif's on the left side.

The 1885 S just don't like the looks of the dentile or teeth on the edge. But that could be due to wear.

My opinion the 1884 is probably a fake. The 1885 if a fake is a pretty good one. At least I don't notice anything that really sticks out. Best bet would be to bring it to a dealer so they can see them in hand.

This is just my opinion. Since I don't have the coin in hand. The 1884 S has a off center strike showing on one side the other side appears pretty normal. That raises question. Also if you look at the E and toward the fore head by the hair there are two bubbles. Should not be there. Next the E and P of E Pluribus have strange serif's on the left side.

The 1885 S just don't like the looks of the dentile or teeth on the edge. But that could be due to wear.

My opinion the 1884 is probably a fake. The 1885 if a fake is a pretty good one. At least I don't notice anything that really sticks out. Best bet would be to bring it to a dealer so they can see them in hand.

thanks

I noticed those bubbles as well ...

Thank you guys ...

P.S. now it's obvious ... Chinese getting better and better in "minting" fake coins(even these non rare dates) ... in couple of years they will counterfeit modern commemorative coins if the trend persists ... ))

Way ahead of you. I've seen a fake Dolly Madison commem. silver dollar (1999)

Archived