CoinPeople.com

Final Jeopardy

thedeadpoint

Tonight's Final Jeopardy category: U.S. Money Math.

Now, I've read a few discussions about a topic you are very very good at being the Final Jeopardy category. Assuming you have an unbeatable lead, do you bet it all assuming it really is a question you know easily? Or do you wager conservatively?

With this category, I would have bet it all.

The answer (question) was: The total face value, in dollars, of current circulating US notes with presidents on their faces.

I paraphrased a bit, but that's the gist of it.

Not that the Jefferson circulates as such. I can't think of the last time I got one in change. Or at a bank. Or anything. It's like halves. They make 'em, but no one uses 'em. But, like the Purity Test, all technicalities count, I suppose.

That settles it. I'm getting a couple rolls of halves and as many twos as I can get from the bank on my next paycheck, and startling the local merchants. :D

Jeff does get around, quite a bit - I spend him on a near daily basis.

I'm more prone to spend Washington but only when absolutely forced to do so.

I remember hearing about someone, back in Susie B. Anthony days (i.e., during those two or three months in 1979 when the coin was new enough that some people were spending them and people actually knew what they were because of media coverage) who made a three buck purchase with a 2 buck bill and a Suzie and he claimed he almost got thrown out of the store.

Cash register drawers have five slots but for some reason merchants insist on reserving one of the slots for stuff other than paper money so if it's not a 1, 5, 10, or 20, it goes under the drawer divider (or at a "stop-n-rob" straight into the safe albeit for other reasons) and unless you specifically _ask_ for a 50 or hundred after someone spends it there they just end up going straight to the bank. I imagine the same fate awaits 2s as well, particularly because there seems to be a "bad luck" superstition about the things. Occasionally you will see the fifth coin slot filled with odds and ends (presidential dollars, maybe some halves and Ikes) but cashiers don't give them back out... so back to the bank those go too. It seems like, with the exception of 50s and 100s that people occasionally bother to ask for either at the bank or at the cash register (some ATMs here dispense hundreds if you ask for more than 200 bucks), the oddball denominations circulate exactly once then return to a bank vault somewhere, waiting for some eccentric like one of us to ask for them.

Anyway, I, like the rest of the contestants, got it wrong. We all guessed $76. Its one of those questions I was so confident about, I spent no time thinking about it and just blurted out an answer. :doh:

Archived