CoinPeople.com

Got Presidential Dollars?

Art

Many folks that I know hate the Presidential Dollars series. Given that Congress will continue with the series based upon the false presumption that someone wants them, I find many of the coins attractive and interesting to have. For example, Abraham Lincoln. He's a hero of mine. Sure he's on the Lincoln Cent and the Illinois Commemorative and the $5 bill and... the list is long and a good subject for another thread.

Here's the Lincoln Presidential Dollar from my collection. I like it.

997705.jpg

Art, was this a series of slabs done by PCGS or some other, in reference to the Picture and seal on the obv slab.

I hope I phrased that right.

Yes. PCGS offers that special labelling for the Presidential dollars each year. My whole set is in those holders - so far.

I don't hate them or love them. I'm just... not around them. Thanks for sharing these photos. I'm really glad I got to see such great examples

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When collectors of the future post back and forth about underappreciated series that they wished they had gotten when first issued, Presidential Dollars I'm sure, will come up.

6812092465_d70313ff7b_z.jpg

2007D SMS 1D Jefferson MS67 obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6812095657_e534643971_z.jpg

2007D SMS 1D Jefferson MS67 rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

I really like the satin finish on the SMS coins.

When collectors of the future post back and forth about underappreciated series that they wished they had gotten when first issued, Presidential Dollars I'm sure, will come up.

Just look at the Morgan Dollar for example--popular in the west but the eastern folk had no use for them.

Now look at them---very collectible--Of course the Morgan is a real beautiful coin compared to the presidential series.

Regardless I am still putting together a full set in archival albums just for the "fun" of doing so!

Nice photos in the other posts--where are the PCGS slabs available from?

Just look at the Morgan Dollar for example--popular in the west but the eastern folk had no use for them.

Now look at them---very collectible--Of course the Morgan is a real beautiful coin compared to the presidential series.

Regardless I am still putting together a full set in archival albums just for the "fun" of doing so!

Nice photos in the other posts--where are the PCGS slabs available from?

The PCGS slabs are available pretty readily on ebay. I usually get mine from one or two different companies but when they come out I purchase them as a set. Usually get the best deal on postage and such that way.

i cant't see why people would hate them.

I think they are verry nice

Dollar coins are generally not well received in the US. Even in the days of the big silver dollars they circulated for the most part in the West - the wild west thing.

While the dollar note is readily available people have little reason to attempt to adopt the coin. There are some specific areas of use that take place -- for example parking meters and tolls. However over the past years more and more of that has moved to electronic passes and debit cards. So.......

• 4 weeks later...

Message to the US Mint. Thanks for being my "drug" dealer! Even though the presidential series is one that only appeals to certain people I for one started a collection. My thinking was that I could use the numismatic reference to the presidents as a motivator to study history. I even went as far as to start the First Ladies bronze medal collection. Yes, I bought the nice archival albums to put them all in. I keep my partial collection handy to remind me to pick up a history book now and then. So back to my original drug dealer comment---Here is how it works--you circulate the dollars (drug) at face value using the banks as easy conduits for distribution. Then slowly reduce the amount manufactured and then cut the supply off all together. The mint (forced by the government king pins) eliminates the competition (banks). The Mint now becomes the only supplier knowing that the collectors have already started thier collections. They also know that when the drug (Presidential Dollars) becomes available again they can charge a big mark up. They know that thier "clients" are now addicted and they will do anything to receive the drug. So here I sit waiting for the Mint to release the next dollar-----Addicted! Is there rehab for coin collecting?

Message to the US Mint. Thanks for being my "drug" dealer! Even though the presidential series is one that only appeals to certain people I for one started a collection. My thinking was that I could use the numismatic reference to the presidents as a motivator to study history. I even went as far as to start the First Ladies bronze medal collection. Yes, I bought the nice archival albums to put them all in. I keep my partial collection handy to remind me to pick up a history book now and then. So back to my original drug dealer comment---Here is how it works--you circulate the dollars (drug) at face value using the banks as easy conduits for distribution. Then slowly reduce the amount manufactured and then cut the supply off all together. The mint (forced by the government king pins) eliminates the competition (banks). The Mint now becomes the only supplier knowing that the collectors have already started thier collections. They also know that when the drug (Presidential Dollars) becomes available again they can charge a big mark up. They know that thier "clients" are now addicted and they will do anything to receive the drug. So here I sit waiting for the Mint to release the next dollar-----Addicted! Is there rehab for coin collecting?

:lol: :lol: No rehab. I'm in the same boat. :lol: :lol:

Maybe this whole site is just a trap. Eventually they'll haul us all off to coin collector rehab. While there you will have to use a debit card for everything.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I do like the Presidential dollars.

Even though I don't collect them,I find them a very nice coin and a great set.

I only have one, given to me by the owner of http://www.smalldollars.com/

If you collect them or are interested in them this is a very good site.

As usual mine is a sample slab. LOL

Alan

102_1140.jpg

102_1129.jpg

I got a roll of dollars from the bank last week; just pulling from circulation I got a nice range. The Sacagaweas were mostly 2000Ps, with a stray 2000D or 2001. One Susie. The rest were a fair mix of the Presidents currently in circulation, both mints. That edge lettering isn't very durable, though. Everything I didn't have one of is being spent, just to keep 'em moving.

• 8 years later...