CoinPeople.com

Fake NGC Slab??? Help

calichico

Look at this first pic, the frontal pic. I bought this and I think I made a huge mistake. That frontal pic looks fake doesn't it? And mine has the small sticker on the back, not the large one they have pictured on the reverse. The font, the - inbetween the numbers... and the bar code has the pic of the scale running right through it! Did I get scammed? Thanks guys.

Here is the link:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=110756370390

1) Does the number, etc. match the photo from the auction?

2) If the photo doesn't match and the auction doesn't state that it's a stock photo, you can always go to ebay for a refund based upon not getting what you bid on.

3) Don't understand the concern about the photo on NGC's site. Not all coins have that service.

Best of luck. If you're that uncomfortable maybe you should just return it anyway and get something else. You'll rest easier in the long run.

Excellent article from NGC http://www.ngccoin.c...x?IDArticle=954

I am very paranoid about getting a fake slab.... That is why I always ask for extra pics on eBay of the slab up close so I can better determine if it is a good buy. I only wish PCGS and ANAC had similar areas that you could go to in order to determine if it is a fake... atleast I haven't found any yet. That is why I buy NGC slabs. I only wish I could find a NGC slab holder at a good price ;)

I only wish I could find a NGC slab holder at a good price ;)

It does seem like PCGS does a better job disseminating their boxes than NGC does. (At Chicago ANA this year, when I reholdered a PCGS coin, it came back in a PCGS box. When I did the same at that show for NGC, no box.) I've been _given_, outright, PCGS boxes by people who are swimming in them but NGC boxes are definitely treated as a scarce commodity.

This is the best price I've seen for the new NGC boxes: http://www.jpscorner.com/Storage_Boxes_NGC_PCGS_Slab_Holders.htm ($8.95).

If you are looking for used boxes, http://www.apmex.com/Product/18463/NGC_20___Coin_Storage_Boxes_Recycled.aspx _sometimes_ has them in stock, for 6 dollars and change. You will end up having to order nine of them because the minimum order is $50. (Guess what I just did!)

I have two very old NGC boxes (they are the smoky translucent ones) and I like the boxes better because they hold almost any slab. Supposedly they don't hold the coin world pseudoslabs which I use to store any US coin I buy "raw," but I have found that the smoky colored ones, at least, do.

(On the other hand, aesthetically, NGC slabs are drab if not ugly and their new setup that shows the edge of the coin addresses a big problem with slabs in general but makes photography even more impractical than it is with other slabs because part of the coin is covered by the white plastic. They also seem to bid at a discount vs. PCGS for some reason; apparently they are believed to be lax in their standards. Security aside I'd rather have a PCGS holder, I hate to say.)

It does seem like PCGS does a better job disseminating their boxes than NGC does. (At Chicago ANA this year, when I reholdered a PCGS coin, it came back in a PCGS box. When I did the same at that show for NGC, no box.) I've been _given_, outright, PCGS boxes by people who are swimming in them but NGC boxes are definitely treated as a scarce commodity.

This is the best price I've seen for the new NGC boxes: http://www.jpscorner...lab_Holders.htm ($8.95).

If you are looking for used boxes, http://www.apmex.com...s_Recycled.aspx _sometimes_ has them in stock, for 6 dollars and change. You will end up having to order nine of them because the minimum order is $50. (Guess what I just did!)

I have two very old NGC boxes (they are the smoky translucent ones) and I like the boxes better because they hold almost any slab. Supposedly they don't hold the coin world pseudoslabs which I use to store any US coin I buy "raw," but I have found that the smoky colored ones, at least, do.

(On the other hand, aesthetically, NGC slabs are drab if not ugly and their new setup that shows the edge of the coin addresses a big problem with slabs in general but makes photography even more impractical than it is with other slabs because part of the coin is covered by the white plastic. They also seem to bid at a discount vs. PCGS for some reason; apparently they are believed to be lax in their standards. Security aside I'd rather have a PCGS holder, I hate to say.)

Do the NGC slabs and ANAC slabs fit in a PCGS box or Vice versa?

I don't know about modern ANACS slabs. My only ANACS slabs are the really old small ones--they fit after a fashion: if they are between two other coins they are basically trapped between them. (ANACS did this consciously so that the small slabs could fit in a 2x2 box if you didn't mind putting the lid only partway on. Since then they've changed their minds, obviously.)

NGC slabs don't fit in a PCGS box well.. they are a tiny bit too tall and you cannot put the lid onto the PCGS box. Some of the older ones are too narrow as well, and will not stay in the slot (they will eventually fall into the next space unless you never pick up the box) unless there is another slab both in front and behind them.

Whitman sells a slab box much like the PCGS in appearance but it's taller so it will close over an NGC slab. It has padding which makes some slabs fit snugly enough that it's annoying to take them out of the box. I bought one as a trial and ended up deciding I didn't care for it for that reason.

I use double-row protected boxes for my slabs - for the most part. I do have a few PCGS type boxes and have them in my safe deposit box because they fit in the small spaces that the large boxes leave. The large red boxes I use are Intercept Shield - they hold all kinds of slabs and work great.

Archived