CoinPeople.com

VERY EARLY BIMETALLIC TOKEN/MEDAL 1839

DSCN2828.jpgDSCN2827.jpg

Obv. Copper Outer: BUIGNIER GRAVEUR 20 R. DES VERTUS Qiers St Martin

Brass Inner: LOUIS PHILIPPE I. ROI DES FRANCAIS around bust of King Louis Philippe.

Rev. Copper outer: MEDAILLE ADRESSE ET DE RELIGION BREVETE. sans garantie du gouvt

Brass Inner: A BUIGNIER INVENTEUR DES POINCONS FONDU within a garland, around which, EXPOSITION DES PRODUITS DE L'INDUSTRIE 1839

25mm Bimetallic Token by Gabriel Stanislas Florent Buignier(died 1892) a French Parisian medalist, engraver & inventor circa 1840's. He won exhibition medals in 1839, 1844, 1849. In 1836 he developed a method of hardening punches which could then be used to punch unsoftened steel blocks, without damage to the punches, saving the time & expense of first softening the steel & then having to quench & harden it again. This was what the 1839 medal, in the centre of this token, was awarded to him for. Poincons fondu translates literally as molten/melted punches!

He was an exhibitor(#1124) at the 1851 Great Exhibition, London.

Though there was some earlier coins/tokens/medals that were bimetallic to a degree(small wedges or metal plugs added before striking etc) this could be one of the contenders for the earliest true bimetallic coins/tokens involving 2 separate pieces, I think it could predate Joseph Moores pattern model pennies.

The central brass medal is only 12mm and, as you can see, it was very well executed.

For me this token ticks lots of boxes, bimetallic, Advertising, token of an engraver, invention of poincons fondu, great tiny engraving, an exhibition medal included, in great condition, very rare & could even be a clue to who produced this other bimetallic of mine.

963448.jpg

SOCIETE DU PRINCE IMPERIAL. 1862. Cuivre. 28 mm. Gravée par J. Peyre. Tête de Napoléon IV. Stern F. R/: SOCIETE DU PRINCE IMPERIAL - 15 7bre 1862 / S. M./ L'IMPERATRICE / FONDATRICE / PRESIDENT / - / PRETS / DE L'ENFANCE / AU TRAVAIL. Inserted in Silver jeton 35MM , CHAMBRE DE COMMERCE DE MARSEILLE / QUOT CURSUS IMMOTA REGIT / 1775 signé : (ALPHEE) DUBOIS

Ohhh, I know I shouldn't come to this forum.

Man these are nice!

I will have to dig out the few bi-metallic jetons that I have and get them scanned at the earliest opportunity. Although relatively scarce in comparison to single metal strikes (ie VERY few and far between), bi-metallic jetons have indeed been around for literally centuries.

I will have to dig out the few bi-metallic jetons that I have and get them scanned at the earliest opportunity.

You have been holding out on us Ian, please post them ASAP :yes:

Makes me even happier that I brought & posted this jeton if it entices you to post some earlier ones :bthumbsup:

Since I posted the Buignier bi-metallic token I have spotted another one of his tokens that is tri-metallic, brass outer & centre core is silver on one side & copper on the other!

Found one of them so far. This one was struck 1579 and the legends are clearly struck over both metals. It's not in a particularly good shape unfortunately, but given it is one of the few jetons i've ever come across that has been struck as a bi-metallic, it's a keeper! :)

996742.jpg

Archived