CoinPeople.com

Some of my favorite sample slabs

acan451

This is one of those samples with a story behind it.

It was the largest sample production run PCGS ever made.

Between fifty and one hundred thousand of this sample where produced.

The largest amount of samples ever made, most samples are produced at around one thousand or

even less. some as low a fifty.

The funny thing is,I was writing about this sample the day I won them, and will be in my next article as well.

They where produced for a beginner coin collector set.

My Theory is this, after the kits became no longer important to the young collector

and spent to much time under the bed, they where eventually thrown out slab included.

I mean they should be all over the net but they are not, and I consider them hard to find.

Because there are several dates and the fact that they are circulated, I find them a lot of fun to collect.

Being they cane in a beginner's kit, they where a sample of what a slabbed coin would look like.

And this is why I suppose they have been called sample slabs, as this is what I would classify them.

So there you have it, all those samples and they are hard to find.

All the Best

Alan

This is one of those samples with a story behind it.

It was the largest sample production run PCGS ever made.

Between fifty and one hundred thousand of this sample where produced.

The largest amount of samples ever made, most samples are produced at around one thousand or

even less. some as low a fifty.

The funny thing is,I was writing about this sample the day I won them, and will be in my next article as well.

They where produced for a beginner coin collector set.

My Theory is this, after the kits became no longer important to the young collector

and spent to much time under the bed, they where eventually thrown out slab included.

I mean they should be all over the net but they are not, and I consider them hard to find.

Because there are several dates and the fact that they are circulated, I find them a lot of fun to collect.

Being they cane in a beginner's kit, they where a sample of what a slabbed coin would look like.

And this is why I suppose they have been called sample slabs, as this is what I would classify them.

So there you have it, all those samples and they are hard to find.

All the Best

Alan

Sounds like these could be approached as a Collection Series in their own right. Beginners Kit Slabs. With the various dates and such it would make an interesting collection.

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of these before now.

Hi Art

I am trying to make a short set, all I have to do now, is find all the different years. LOL

I have met a fellow who has several different dates as far as I know they run 1918/1929.

Like I said they made so many, we should be tripping over them, but where did they all go?

I think my theory makes sense, it is the only thing I can think of.

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've had this sample for years but just got around to photographing it today.

6802222393_3aa2214e07_z.jpg

1921 1D PCGS Sample obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6802226779_2f3e68d61a_z.jpg

1921 1D PCGS Sample rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

Hi Art

That is a beautiful sample,

I don't have one yet, and have not seen one that looks that good.

This is on my wish list and one day I will have one.

Thanks for posting this sample it is a pleasure to look at

All the best

Alan.

Archived