CoinPeople.com

Vintage computers

MisterMcDoo

I have two Macintosh "Classics" that I bought from my teacher. He says they were used in his classroom for one year before being replaced by Classic 2s a loooooong time ago. They are in perfect working order.

Please make me an offer for one of these Macs if you are interested. They are extremely old and have b&w screens but can handle several things I wouldn't think they could do.

Includes keyboard and mouse. US buyers only, sorry. :ninja:

s/h $12.50.

I had the dubious privelige to work on Radar Mark 1 that had a 'computer' made up of hundreds of electro-mechanical relays. I don't think you could collect it though! It had it's own room and comprised some 8 six foot racks! Things have definitely moved on!:ninja:

Includes keyboard and mouse.

You know when I first ready that I thought "Cool".... then for some reason asked anyways :ninja:

My Girlfriend thinks these are "Cute" and she want to make a fish bowl out of it (A common idea akdrv ;)) I wonder if I could mod it to be an 8-bit NES...

I gotta check fundage but Ill prolly be sendin' you a PM in the near future MMD.

-Bobby

My Girlfriend thinks these are "Cute" and she want to make a fish bowl out of it (A common idea akdrv :ninja:)

Ahem ...

http://www.theapplecollection.com/Collecti...ium/index.shtml

Be sure and click any of the Applefritter links to see some neats results of such transformations ... While I have a Mac, those old models definitely had more character ... ;)

Christian

Aquarium????

I thought they were collector's items, guess that's pretty dumb. Maybe you'll want to keep one as a working specimen.

-Ben

I've used these at school until I was in grade 6. Then we got new ones, and the whole batch of them (about 80-100) is still gathering dust in storage, 7 years down the road :ninja:

I'm thinking mid-80s?

Precisely :-)

http://www.hnf.de/museum/comp4all2_en.html

Actually I have only seen those 20+ yr old models in museums like that one, and one Apple dealer around here has one ... whether it would still work I don't know. Since 1984 was also the year that George Orwell chose for his famous book, one Apple commercial which "played" with this theme http://www.uiowa.edu/~commstud/adclass/1984_mac_ad.html made this new kind of computer widely known.

Christian

Xerox had the first computer with a mouse, but then sold the patent for peanuts to the Steve Jobs for peanuts because their (Xerox's) management didn't realize what use it'd be of commercially. They also then left the computer business in which they might had became a major player.

Precisely :-)

http://www.hnf.de/museum/comp4all2_en.html

Actually I have only seen those 20+ yr old models in museums like that one, and one Apple dealer around here has one ... whether it would still work I don't know. Since 1984 was also the year that George Orwell chose for his famous book, one Apple commercial which "played" with this theme http://www.uiowa.edu/~commstud/adclass/1984_mac_ad.html made this new kind of computer widely known.

Christian

1984 hey? Amusingly i too often refer to that particular year as 'George Orwell's year' (although i've never read the book, it's on my to do list). Not only is it Mr Orwell's year but it's also mine.

• 3 weeks later...

I use to work at a computer store and filled a dumpster with them things out of a warehouse of stuff my boss bought at that time. . . . I never thought of the fish tank Idea. . . . I could of made a fortune.

Oh I know a sucker that will buy them. . . Personally I can't stand the . . . . . Well I'd call him a moron but that would be an insult to Idiots everywhere. . .

I remember in grammar school we had Apple IIe's, and it brought back memories since my dad called me last year and told me he bought a computer and wanted me to help him set it up. It turns our he bought an Apple IIe at a garage sale for $5, but I had to break the news to him that there was not much I could do to help him since no one makes software for 25 year old computers!

I remember in 7th grade we had Radio Shack TRS 80s, with a cassette drive! That was back in 82 or 83, state of the art at the time!

I have not been around as much this week...

On Friday my new PC, bought back in February was hit with a virus. It took the power supply to the PC down somehow. I barely had the thing 7 mths and it is toast.

So now I am back to using the PC I have had since 1998, this thing was built in 1997 for a local company that went out of business, then it was a $2500 machine.

It has a wopping 1 GB hard drive, is very very slow.

But it still works. It has never failed us, it soldiers on when two newer computers crapped out.

Say what you will about old, but they don't build them like they used to.

Archived