CoinPeople.com

1947 Penny die cap error?

rayb2229

I just found this 1947 Wheat penny with what looks like an obverse die cap error. Wondering if the reverse of coin would have a clear striking with it being a die cap. Any help would be appreciated

ScannedImage-4.jpg

ScannedImage-5.jpg

I'm not so sure. It looks to me like the rim may have been rolled post mint. If the obverse die was capped, the full image should be present and it appears the obverse image is less than the full image (the L in Liberty appears to be gone as well as much of the last digit in the date for example). In an obverse capped die, all the elements should be present and the cupping spreading out and up from the edge of the die.

I'm not so sure. It looks to me like the rim may have been rolled post mint. If the obverse die was capped, the full image should be present and it appears the obverse image is less than the full image (the L in Liberty appears to be gone as well as much of the last digit in the date for example). In an obverse capped die, all the elements should be present and the cupping spreading out and up from the edge of the die.

The rim does seem to be rolled, it covers the upper half of "IN GOD WE TRUST" and the "L". The roll is very simetrical and even all around.

The rim does seem to be rolled, it covers the upper half of "IN GOD WE TRUST" and the "L". The roll is very simetrical and even all around.

I suspect you have a damaged coin as opposed to an error.

Archived