CoinPeople.com

Silver or not silver

ovrundr

Question on Canadian silver proof dollars post 1967. I know that Canada stop adding silver in 1967 and 1968-1970 were nickel only. Then in 1971 they started minting the silver commemorative dollars.

But my question is did/do they mint silver proof coins of the circulation strike like the US does. I see a lot of coins advertised as Example 1982 proof silver dollar. Is this just using the term silver dollar loosely or is it really a dollar coin that is a silver proof?

Inquiring minds wan to know.

:ninja:

But my question is did/do they mint silver proof coins of the circulation strike like the US does. I see a lot of coins advertised as Example 1982 proof silver dollar. Is this just using the term silver dollar loosely or is it really a dollar coin that is a silver proof?

No. All of the silver dollars (1972 excepted) are commemoratives with a different design than the circulating coin. Also, In Canada, the nickel dollars are of a smaller size, so you could easily seperate them by size, unlike US clad and silver Ikes, which appear to be the same to Average Joe.

The 1972 silver dollar uses the standard voyageur design, so is technically the last, after 1966.

Only S$1 from 1981 on are proofs, the previous (-1980) ones are "specimen" strikes. The closest US term I can think of for that would be SMS quality perhaps?

Archived