CoinPeople.com

1 Rouble 1841 value?

petewow

Hello,

I could not find any information about this coin via search.

So, I happened to find this coin from my "collection" and I was wondering if it has any value at all?

Secondly, are these pictures good enough to determine it's condition or whatnot.

etu.jpg

taka.jpg

Thank you for your answers!

Hello,

I could not find any information about this coin via search.

Welcome to Coin People, Pete! :art:

Maybe this link can help:

Monetniy Dvor (in Russian)

So, I happened to find this coin from my "collection" and I was wondering if it has any value at all?

Secondly, are these pictures good enough to determine it's condition or whatnot.

It is very difficult to take good pictures of coins which show the condition accurately. I would suggest not to use a flash bulb in the future ... we have a sub-forum dedicated to coin photography, maybe you could check it out?

Numismatic photography forum

However, from your pictures, your coin seems to have a lot of wear and also rim damage. If you check out the auction prices realized on the Monetniy Dvor site, you will see that some coins in VF condition sold for about 70€. Yours, however, IMHO would not grade that high, so it would probably sell for less.

Condition is really what makes the value of a coin unless it is an extremely rare date or variety.

Althougt coin has some damage on the rim it is strong VF condition. The details are quite sharp -only crown is worn-out and coats-of-arms are rather flat ...

Don't forget how it was produced and it is visible on the obverse that the strike was weak or (much more possible) the die was worn. Coins from 1840-43 usually looks very bad even if they are MS not mentionning the mistakes in dies which are very popular. It gives the idea of quality at the Mint :-) at that time.

There is an abundance of varieties for rouble 1841.

Julian lists no less than nine varieties for year 1841. For both 1840 and 1841 one of the varieties differ on edge inscription: 82 14/25 ДОЛИ resp. 27 21/25 ДОЛЬ. The latter inscription is considered rare for both of these dates. The other varieties are various spelling errors.

Bitkin lists only three varieties, the third variety for 1841 (Bit 194) being a spelling error, OПБ instead of СПБ.

This makes the proper valuation of any rouble 1840 or 1841 impossible without knowing the type of edge inscription, though the chance for the rare variety must be low. Whether these rare varieties are sold for better prices than the regular 1840 / 1841 I do not know - I have not been following auctions on this subject that closely. Bitkin (2003) considers them around 2.5 times better. Perhaps more experienced "coin people" have some data on this subject?

There is an abundance of varieties for rouble 1841.

Julian lists no less than nine varieties for year 1841. For both 1840 and 1841 one of the varieties differ on edge inscription: 82 14/25 ДОЛИ resp. 27 21/25 ДОЛЬ. The latter inscription is considered rare for both of these dates. The other varieties are various spelling errors.

Bitkin lists only three varieties, the third variety for 1841 (Bit 194) being a spelling error, OПБ instead of СПБ.

This makes the proper valuation of any rouble 1840 or 1841 impossible without knowing the type of edge inscription, though the chance for the rare variety must be low. Whether these rare varieties are sold for better prices than the regular 1840 / 1841 I do not know - I have not been following auctions on this subject that closely. Bitkin (2003) considers them around 2.5 times better. Perhaps more experienced "coin people" have some data on this subject?

I know 16 major varieties of Rouble 1840 and 13 major varieties of 1841.

In the beginning of 1900s Russian numismatist Kocheregin recognised total of 34 and 54 varieties accordingly.

As for edge inscription variety (error), it appeared due to mistakingly applied edge tool meant for dual denomination 1 1/2 rouble / 10 zloty "Russian-Polish" coin.

These edge error coins sell for around 2-2.5 times higher than regular edge coins in 1840 and for around 4-5 times higher in 1841, 1841 being much more rare than 1840.

• 3 weeks later...

In Russia (Ukrain) it cost 75$ in XF quality. In USA it cost 270$ in XF quality. Coin circulation - 6,2 millions.

(Ukrain) is actually Ukraine, :)

This coin is very strange. One side is worn much more than the other one. If you look at the eagle side, the details are UNC. If you look at the other side, it is F/vf at best. Could be part of some jewelry (unlikely due to size) but possible. Then there would be traces on the rim. Could be other explanations, including this being a fake...

When I see such a difference in condition between the averse and reverse, I am very cautious.

Archived