CoinPeople.com

Numismatist Vol. 1-6 Electronic Version

jlueke

The information can be read at http://www.ancientcoinvalues.com/24.html

The contact email is given there. I'll repost the background information below

Note that the future schedule will be as I find time, unless there is a great uptick in demand :-)

History and Description

Dr. George Heath started the Numismatist (initially called the American Numismatist) in the fall of 1888. In that year and the following the magazine’s purpose was to market Dr. Heath’s offerings as well as connect with and educate fellow numismatists. I am uncertain of the success of the former, but the latter objective was achieved and the magazine quickly grew. In 1890 the magazine began to fill out with a series if articles and the volumes from 1891 and 1892 are filled with wonderful historical and still practical articles. In 1891 the American Numismatic Association was founded and the Numismatist would soon be adopted as the official publication, an honor the magazine still holds to this day. The first six volumes are very difficult to find.

The Electronic Numismatist is a project to convert the old issues of the magazine into electronic format. The reasons and benefits for this are many

* To preserve the information contained in the magazine. Contemporary accounts of numismatic events give us an unfiltered view on what collectors thought of events as they occurred. The first set of six volumes saw the introduction of the Barber coinage as well as the Columbian Exposition in Chicago. The Numismatist also offers interesting biographical sketches of famous numismatists like Lyman Low and Ed Frossard. The articles are often times apt in the present day as well. The Numismatic Foundation Stones series is priceless. Where else can you learn how to build a classic coin cabinet?

* To make the information more easily accessible. Books are wonderful but also a little difficult to use. Electronic files can be searched, linked, cut and pasted, taken on laptops and CDs. Articles on similar subjects can be accessed with the click of a button. They are simply more practical especially when combing though large amounts of data.

* To increase the exposure of modern numismatists to this material. Numismatic material from the late 19th century can be expensive and difficult to locate. By converting the data to electronic formats it can be made accessible to anyone. There is no need to worry about staining a rare text.

* For fun! How much did a 1793 cent cost in 1893 anyway? The advertisements are scanned and preserved as found.

The information can be read at http://www.ancientcoinvalues.com/24.html

The Electronic Numismatist is a project to convert the old issues of the magazine into electronic format. The reasons and benefits for this are many

I was sorry to see that you were not nominated or awarded for a Numismatic Literary Guild citation. That is one of the reasons that I started the NOW: Numismatic Online Writers forum here on Coin People. The NLG is out of touch. They are inbred. They are basically a set of self-serving print moghuls who award themselves plaques and then tout the bestowals in their own publications. Coin World announces Numismatic News because Numismatic News honors the ANA because Numismatist mentions CoinAge. It took them forever to recognize The Celator and then the best they could think of was "Best Cartoon Series About Ancient Coins" for Parnell Nelson. They just make up these awards so that everyone gets one.

You deserved one and there is no doubt about that. :ninja:

Stujoe,

It's the first six volumes. They are the most rare. The next ten are scarce, and from then on most issues aren't too hard to find. It's just that with very few members at the beginning very few issues existed. I think there's 12 original sets, the are tracked on the ANA website.

You can email me numismatist@ancientcoinvalues.com if you are interested and I'll send you the paypa email address.

Thanks Mike.

There are a few others who think like you do, but only a few dozen and they've all ordered a copy :ninja:

The E-sylum members seem to be the most interested bunch if I go by interest per group.

Anyway I appreciate the comments from those who enjoy these volumes as much as I do. At least I know I'm not alone.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jorg,

My mind is a little squidgy at the moment for some reason, so bear with me.

I'm not sure whether you are offering vols 1-6 for the price mentioned on the web site or if it is vol 1 that has been completed and available for the price noted. (?)

I also tried clicking on the link `order here' but it delivered a 404 page not found error message.

I saw Ed Frossard's name mentioned and since he was hot on Franco American jeton's, it piqued my interest..... :ninja:

Ian

Hi Ian,

It's the price listed for volumes 1-6 inclusive. Any questions youn can always send to numismatist@ancientcoinvalues.com. I looked to see if there was any big articles on Jetons in the first six volumes but I did not notice any. I did see that a George J Bower from New York delivered a paper on it at the 1893 convention, but the paper is not printed.

Hi Ian,

It's the price listed for volumes 1-6 inclusive.  Any questions youn can always send to numismatist@ancientcoinvalues.com.  I looked to see if there was any big articles on Jetons in the first six volumes but I did not notice any.  I did see that a George J Bower from New York delivered a paper on it at the 1893 convention, but the paper is not printed.

Hi Jorg,

I'll email re buying a copy from you.

TR Marvin & Sons Ltd printed a (very) small booklet written by Ed Frossard entitled `Franco American Jetons' in 1899. There was only 100 copies printed and sold for $1 each. I had hoped that he might have written an article on them for the ANA. The booklet notes Ed as being a member of the `American Numismatic and Archaeological Society'. I wondered if that was the forerunner of the ANA or an entirely different association (?)

It was (thankfully) reprinted in 1977 by Frank and Laurese Katen, Silver Spring, Md

The booklet notes Ed as being a member of the `American Numismatic and Archaeological Society'. I wondered if that was the forerunner of the ANA or an entirely different association (?)

It was (thankfully) reprinted in 1977 by Frank and Laurese Katen, Silver Spring, Md

The American Numismatic and Archaeological Society is now known as just the American Numismatic Society (ANS http://www.amnumsoc.org/) A slightly older and different organization than the ANA which was always more clubby and less scientific though less so when fouded than now.

Vol.1-6 are from 1888-1893 so perhaps he did write something in 1899. I believe he died that year as well, so perhaps it was the last thing he wrote!

• 2 weeks later...

I received the Electronic Numismatist today. Very impressive! Almost 600 pages of material. It is quite well done and very easy to read.

Just skimming through it, I noticed interesting stuff throughout.

Did you know that there apparently used to be a grade called 'Very Poor' as well as a "Very Fair"? I didn't!

Reading a volume from 1892, they talk about the release of the newest coins...that would be the introduction of Barber Coinage. It was about as well received as the coins of today are. 'But another disappointment' they are called. It reads like a review of a newly released state quarter!

Later, the review of the design of the upcoming Columbian Half Dollar was much better. Although, there was some hue and cry over selling a half dollar for a dollar. :ninja:

This is a great addition to my library!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you like the old editions, there's a distinct subset of persons who really enjoy that stuff. Unfortunately there aren't quite enough of us :ninja:

I'm going to have to check on what other paper editions I have and get started on the next set.

Archived