CoinPeople.com

Louis XIV by Joseph Roettier 1700

DSCN2741.jpg

DSCN2739.jpg

IMHO:

Louis XIV by Joseph Roettier(1631-1703) engraved in 1700(according to Forrer) even though some of the medals that used this obverse were dated earlier. LUDOVICUS MAGNUS REX CHRISTIANISSIMUS.

This is an unsigned,unifaced, trial-strike in old pewter(high lead content)62/63mm, which is smaller than the issued medals of 70mm for this obverse that I am aware of, perhaps someone has knowledge of a 62/63mm medal? The planchet has a pre-strike defect in front of the king & extending onto his face & which is still very visible post strike. The rear of the planchet was only roughly prepared. This piece was struck as a trial for the original medal, not for a later restrike.

Louis XIV's series of medals were only begun in 1680, by Roettier, Mauger, Roussel, Molart & others. One of the medals that used this obverse was the 'Foundation of Royal Academy of Inscription and Numismatic Institute' 1663, 70mm. See Bill's previous post for a comparision(I have now posted his image below), you can tell the trial piece closely matches the restruck Roettier's medal.

1470430655_bfc3c43013.jpg

I took the liberty of placing our medals side by side for easier comparison, I hope that is okay with you Bill :)

1470430655_bfc3c43013_b-1.jpg

I took the liberty of placing our medals side by side for easier comparison, I hope that is okay with you Bill :)

1470430655_bfc3c43013_b-1.jpg

Of course it is okay. The whole point here is to have these kind of discussions and comparisons. I always learn something from your collecting activities.

]

I keep noticing this every time I look at the comparison pic.

Is there a difference in the angle of the forehead between the two ?

Something they changed after the trial strike !

It might just be me !

Tom

The Paris Mint had old worn/damaged dies reworked where possible but failing that they commissioned new dies for re-strikes. Louis looks like he has been dieting on the smaller trial-piece compared to the re-strike even the lettering is thinner, compare the 'O's.

It is well worth a visit to http://www.napoleonicmedals.org/ and read FAQ regarding edge marks & restrikes etc. I should point out it is well worth perusing the whole site :yes:

Archived