CoinPeople.com

1997 Rare? Mint Set (850th Anniversary of Moscow)

countbartok

Hello friends,

I want to show you all this set. It has 6 1-rouble silver proof coins of 1997 , which commemorate the 850th anniversary of Moscow. It also has a medal in the top (mint medal). I have seen these coins separately, but very rarely in this set. Do you guys know anything about this set? (I can not read Russian but it probably explains the history of the city, not so much the history of the set per se). I was also surprised to see it being sold on ebay for around $1200 ... is that accurate?

Ebay link EBAY LINK

Thanx

328210_10150290890674014_629689013_7695746_4284128_o.jpg

Your pic is a little blurry, if you make another one especailly on its case, not the coins - then I can read you what it says.

Welcome to coinpeople, BTW :)

P.S. The issue of the set is dedicated to 850th aniversary of Moscow city was found. Set made by Moscow Mint.

set is in deed scarce, but definitely not for such price

Thanx for the reply! Apparently those specific coins are more expensive because they were minted in the Moscow Mint, whereas most coins of that same series came from the St. Petesburgh Mint (ratio 5:1). In any case I have not seen them on ebay or anywhere else up for sale (St Pet or Moscow mint).

Is there any way to know how many of these sets were made? Perhaps a catalogue that you might know of?

PS: I found this catalogue which I have attached. The coins are: 14,15,16,17,19,21 + the mint medal which is not in that catalogue (I wonder how many of those medals there are).

CATALOGUE

Your pic is a little blurry, if you make another one especailly on its case, not the coins - then I can read you what it says.

Welcome to coinpeople, BTW :)

P.S. The issue of the set is dedicated to 850th aniversary of Moscow city was found. Set made by Moscow Mint.

Thanx a lot my friend. I will upload some in a few hours!

Thanx a lot my friend. I will upload some in a few hours!

YW,

it seems to me that the prices in that catalog are in rubles :confus:

Here are 2 high-res pics of the set. I am wondering if it only talks about history, or if it mentions something about the coins/set itself.

Link 1

Link 2

Thx a lot!!!!

link 1 talks about the Russian history and Moscow

link 2 says that this present set is a second one in the series containing one ruble denominations and dedicated to 850th anniversary of finding of Moscow, all coins from silver of 825 finess and reflect the history related to Moscow and Russia

i hope it helps :)

link 1 talks about the Russian history and Moscow

link 2 says that this present set is a second one in the series containing one ruble denominations and dedicated to 850th anniversary of finding of Moscow, all coins from silver of 825 finess and reflect the history related to Moscow and Russia

i hope it helps :)

Thanks a lot pal! I really appreciate your help!

Dan

Apparently those specific coins are more expensive because they were minted in the Moscow Mint, whereas most coins of that same series came from the St. Petesburgh Mint (ratio 5:1). In any case I have not seen them on ebay or anywhere else up for sale (St Pet or Moscow mint).

Is there any way to know how many of these sets were made? Perhaps a catalogue that you might know of?

PS: I found this catalogue which I have attached. The coins are: 14,15,16,17,19,21 + the mint medal which is not in that catalogue (I wonder how many of those medals there are)

Catalogue price being RUR 25,500 ($864), one can relatively easy find these coins in an original booklet (6 coins from Moscow Mint + a medal) for sale at approx. 27~28K RUR ($ 915~$950), so $1200 is a bit too high, I think.

As for circulation figure of the set, I think it is a chance to find it on the booklet itself (probably somewhere in small type).

But most probably it is 5,000 or less: as LMD coins were minted by 20,000 pcs. each; supplementing MMD coins - by 5,000 each; "MMD only" coins - 25,000 each; hence we can guess that all or most MMD coins of same design as LMD coins were meant for these sets.

Catalogue price being RUR 25,500 ($864), one can relatively easy find these coins in an original booklet (6 coins from Moscow Mint + a medal) for sale at approx. 27~28K RUR ($ 915~$950), so $1200 is a bit too high, I think.

As for circulation figure of the set, I think it is a chance to find it on the booklet itself (probably somewhere in small type).

But most probably it is 5,000 or less: as LMD coins were minted by 20,000 pcs. each; supplementing MMD coins - by 5,000 each; "MMD only" coins - 25,000 each; hence we can guess that all or most MMD coins of same design as LMD coins were meant for these sets.

It was discussed several years ago at one of most popular Russian numismatic forums, here.

It is said there that at that moment the price for the set was up to $800.

And information there was that ALL coins minted in Moscow by 5,000 each were for sets only.

So the circulation of the set is 5,000.

In one of internet stores same fugire (5,000) is confirmed.

(By the way, their selling price is RUR 37K ~ $1,255... even higher than ebay's...)