CoinPeople.com

1769 5 Rouble

noodles77

I recently bought a 1769 5 rouble coin on ebay. I believe it is in "xf" condition. I can not find any history on this coin sold in auction. Would anyone know what a coin like this would cost.

Here is a link to the coin:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=180713718273

Thank you

Fuchs collection lot 330

The coin from ebay looks suspicious to me comparing to Fuchs' one, IMXO

P.S. almost all bidders were with very low feedback B)

dear noodles77, you asking for help, you got one auction known to me (Fuchs),

you take it easy there and please explain how do you know that the coin what you bought from the picture is the genuine's one? :shock:

I have only been collecting coins for just over a year and i am still new at this. I will know whether its real as soon as I get it and send it for grading to NGC. If its not real i just return it. No harm done. Let me rephrase my question. I saw what the price for this coin sold in 1996 from the Fuchs collection back in 1996 for 350 GBP but that was 15 years ago. I was wondering if anyone new what the cost of this coin would be today. It has not been seen on auction for a very long time. I bought it for that reason that it seems rare. I paid 6300.00 and what I am asking is lets say this coin is real, did i pay a fair price for it. Did I overpay, did i get it cheap?

The price you have paid is the fair price according Wolmar modern price-guide 2010, which says that XF is $6500. Ebay pictures look differently and IT IS HARD TO SAY if this coin IS GENUINE. Look for example at SPB letters...?

I also saw this coin sold at Soderman collection in 1977, and Spink and Son in 1980, etc. Just recent years this coin has not been for sale at auctions. But it does not mean it is very rare. Make sure that the seller's 14 days return policy is working. Good Luck !

By the way what is your opinion about Wolmar prices?

The prices seems to be very high if you compare with Konros ...

it is, but it also seems to me that and a material at Wolmar has some casese better condition than Konros, IMXO

noodles77, keep us posted. Ebay is monitored by the entire collecting world, so the fact that above 3 thousand there were only 3 bidders (including you) speaks for itself - no one wanted to take a chance with serious money.

My advice - once you get the coin, immediately send it to NGC for EXPRESS service. Most likely (if they do not think it is an obvious fake) NGC will send it to one of their external consultants for expertise, so EXPRESS is the only chance for you to possibly squeeze it into 14 days, and still unlikely. So better yet, ask seller for the time to get NGC result. IMHO - the coin is not xf, but VF. Also I do not like the texture of the fields. I know that you came here to inquire about the cost, but hopefully this little extra information will be acceptable to you as well. Good luck! Miracles do happen, but not often.

I am aware of the risks of buying ungraded coins on ebay and I dont usually buy them but i really needed this coin for my collection and their is really not much risk. I had planned to send it to NGC for express grading all along and when I called them, they said they could get me an answer within 5 business days. The seller offered 14 days return which is plenty of time for me but Ebay and Paypal protect the buyer for up to 45 days in the case that a coin is discovered to be counterfeit. The coin should be here any day and I will post the results as soon as I hear from NGC. By the way there was not 3 bidders, there was 14 bidders.

Thank you for your feedback, it is very much appreciated. I definitely do not plan on buying many ungraded coins on ebay, i know thats playing with fire.

I had planned to send it to NGC for express grading all along and when I called them, they said they could get me an answer within 5 business days. .

If at NGC they have additional questions about the coin and send it to an outside expert - there goes the 5 days. And they will not refund the express grading fee either :)

The seller offered 14 days return which is plenty of time for me but Ebay and Paypal protect the buyer for up to 45 days in the case that a coin is discovered to be counterfeit.

Why go that route. Just let the seller know about your intentions. He should have no problems with it, if reputable.

BTW, I think Ebay and Paypal cover one if purchesed through bank account. If credit card is used, it is not quite like that.

Also, I always wondered, but was too lazy to look into, how can PayPal get the money from the seller if there is no money to get in the seller's accounts? I once had an issue like that, but it was a dealer who was not planning to go out of business because of my transaction, so it worked out.

Why did you post my bids for this coin, any point? I dont buy often from ebay, I stick to numismatic auctions 90 % of the time.

I understand buying ungraded coins is a lottery but I guess I have won the lottery 3 times over the last 6 months. I had a 1776 5 rouble grade XF which i bought in greece for 3750.00 dollars. Also 1836 5 rouble which I paid 1300.00 graded ms62 and also a 5 roubles 1892 for 1100.00 that graded ms64. I guess miracles do happen. Besides I love the rush of hearing back from the grading company. I believe half the fun in collecting coins is getting that great deal for a coin you want and unfortunately fishing on ebay or private collections at estate sales is the only way left to do it. The days of winning coins cheap on real auctions are in the past. I just won a few on Heritage Auction and they did not come overly cheap.

I also wonder why people dont get coins graded knowing their value will go up. Its not that easy to always get coins graded. I have won ungraded coins from both Baldwins and Ira and Larry Goldberg auctions and I sent the coins I won to both NGC and PCGS and they both returned the coins "no decision" How do you explain that?

I had a 1776 5 rouble grade XF which i bought in greece for 3750.00 dollars. Also 1836 5 rouble which I paid 1300.00 graded ms62 and also a 5 roubles 1892 for 1100.00 that graded ms64. I guess miracles do happen.

:weight_lift:

I also wonder why people dont get coins graded knowing their value will go up. Its not that easy to always get coins graded. I have won ungraded coins from both Baldwins and Ira and Larry Goldberg auctions and I sent the coins I won to both NGC and PCGS and they both returned the coins "no decision" How do you explain that?

I am pretty sure about the following - most of the time, if you buy ungraded coin from a US auction, that means they tried to grade it and received a negative decission (scratches, no decision, questionable authenticity, etc.)

Did you get money back wth "no decision" coins? "No decision" to me means they are not sure if the coin ir real, but they are also unsure if it is fake. "Questionable authenticity" - they are leaning toward fake, but not completely sure. So they are limiting their liability, which also shows their incompetence. I wish I thought of the grading company back than - what a great way to make money. Or better yet - what a scam. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well the coin came back "no decision" from NGC. It is the same answer I get with every Russian coin I send them from the 1700's. Its off to PCGS now to give them a try. Can anyone recommend a way to get a coin verified for authenticity aside from sending them for grading. Do any auctions offer a service to authenticate coins?

Well the coin came back "no decision" from NGC. It is the same answer I get with every Russian coin I send them from the 1700's. Its off to PCGS now to give them a try. Can anyone recommend a way to get a coin verified for authenticity aside from sending them for grading. Do any auctions offer a service to authenticate coins?

You can post authenticity question on Russian numismatic forum at http://coins.su/forum. You will have to post high quality sharp pictures of your coin.

I am not a big fan of coins.su; Most likely you will get some abuse there and that's about it. Yes, there are some good experts there, but mostly in copper and some in silver, but not in gold or platinum. IMHO

No auction house will take a chance on authenticating a Russian coin. Let us know how it goes with PCGS.

Archived