CoinPeople.com

Buzkirk Buys

buzkirk

Hard to pass this one up, still have mixed feelings about the inset date vs. a raised date, not sure if there is another inset date in US coinage.

Sorry for the poor pics

0000079.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

0000080g.jpg

0000081s.jpg

Thanks for the views, nice to get these.

Does anyone know of another US coin with the date inset into the coin, as apposed to a raised date ?

This was the point of interest originally for these coins, $1 / inset date, 0.50 /raised date /same year.

Tom

Tom, I'll have to put on my thinking cap. There are other US coins with incuse dates. The 2.50 and 5.00 Gold Indians come to mind. I'm thinking there's at least one more commemorative but I'm not sure about production coins. I'll get back to you on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a couple today, 1928 Canada Penny, I believe last year this coin, before it went to maple leaf

2nd a 1982 Lincoln Memorial cent, with a interisting error, if it is a error vs. manipulation.

again sorry for poor pics, I'll eventually learn how to take good photos.

0000094z.jpg

0000095j.jpg

0000091p.jpg

0000090w.jpg

any opinion on the Lincoln penny error/manipulated penny welcome

if it is a error, what would have caused it, same size and edge type as a blank planchett, will fit perfectly inside the edge of a regular penny.

But, letters seem to go into edge not on top of it

Found a couple today, 1928 Canada Penny, I believe last year this coin, before it went to maple leaf

This type, with two separate small maple leaves was issued until 1936.

2nd a 1982 Lincoln Memorial cent, with a interisting error, if it is a error vs. manipulation.

Post-mint damage, edged has been tapped / squished in.

• 4 weeks later...

New items to look at

1950 Hong Kong 5 cent & 10 cent, so I still need a 50 cent 1951, for a set of the King George the sixth.

The 5 cent has a noticable crack running thru it, need to do a little more looking at that.

0000097h.jpg

0000099o.jpg

Art has me looking at postage stamps in a new light, so I couldn't pass these up.

0000100u.jpg

0000101.jpg

0000102.jpg

Again sorry for the poor pics, Hard to do with a point and shoot (Kodak Z812is)

Tom

King George the Sixth was the new legend of the George the VI 1936-1952, still need the 50 cent w/ sixth, then 5 & 10 cent of the old VI

The 1 cent KM 24 is just way out of my range and was not issued into circulation (VF 2250.00)

Edward VII 1901-1910

George V 1910-1936

George VI 1936-1952

Elizabeth II 1952-1997

All of these look like they can be picked up reasonably on ebay or similar sites in circulated condition

Tom

King George the Sixth was the new legend of the George the VI 1936-1952, still need the 50 cent w/ sixth, then 5 & 10 cent of the old VI

The 1 cent KM 24 is just way out of my range and was not issued into circulation (VF 2250.00)

Edward VII 1901-1910

George V 1910-1936

George VI 1936-1952

Elizabeth II 1952-1997

All of these look like they can be picked up reasonably on ebay or similar sites in circulated condition

Tom

Interesting. Why was the 1 cent never issued? Sounds like there might be an interesting story there.

The HK 1941 1c and 5c were both unissued due to WWII. One shipment was captured by the Japanese and it is believed that many of the survivors came from there. There's also one shipment somewhere in the deep blue seas.

The one cent coin was never again issued for use in HK due to its declining value, but existed in paper form through the 1960s (but was rarely used - it was almost like US tax tokens in terms of value), and was technically valid and issued into the late 80s, early 90s. The one cent note is probably one of the most frequently encountered notes in dealers' "10 UNC world notes" and other similar types of lots.

Despite Chinese coins having risen in value dramatically in recent years, Hong Kong coinage, including Victorian and Edwardian, is for the most part very affordable.

The HK 1941 1c and 5c were both unissued due to WWII. One shipment was captured by the Japanese and it is believed that many of the survivors came from there. There's also one shipment somewhere in the deep blue seas.

The one cent coin was never again issued for use in HK due to its declining value, but existed in paper form through the 1960s (but was rarely used - it was almost like US tax tokens in terms of value), and was technically valid and issued into the late 80s, early 90s. The one cent note is probably one of the most frequently encountered notes in dealers' "10 UNC world notes" and other similar types of lots.

Despite Chinese coins having risen in value dramatically in recent years, Hong Kong coinage, including Victorian and Edwardian, is for the most part very affordable.

Interesting. Thanks Kev. I did not know that.

• 1 month later...

Got another of my Hong Kong type set, the .50 cent George the sixth

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290628495961?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3106wt_952

Just want one of every type coin issued, not all the dates.

Tom

Nice pickup. :bthumbsup:

Archived