CoinPeople.com

Got Kennedy Halfs?

Art

Kennedy Halfs are certainly not a circulating series and in actuality never were. But they're very attractive coins especially in proof and ms grades. So what have you got in your collection.

1990-S Proof 69 Deep Cameo

6096720214_e090e935bc_z.jpg

1990S JFK PR69DCAM obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6096720760_bf691d20e7_z.jpg

1990S JFK PR69DCAM rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

Kennedy Halfs are certainly not a circulating series and in actuality never were. But they're very attractive coins especially in proof and ms grades. So what have you got in your collection.

At least where I grew up, I remember Kennedies circulating fairly freely in the 70s. Not so much after the Bicentennial issues, but until then, I saw and used them regularly. Even the Ikes got out and about a little bit.

Hm. Looked over my Omnicoin images. I need to re-shoot all my halves, they look awful.

• 5 months later...

Photographed a few of my Kennedy Halfs yesterday.

6812111895_76307e9ed1_z.jpg

2009S Silver 50C PF69UC obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6812115943_6775c4c725_z.jpg

2009S Silver 50C PF69UC rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

This is one of my favorites. I purchased it to fill a spot in my Modern US Type Set. It's actually prettier than the picture indicates.

Here's a Satin Finish Kennedy from a Mint Set

6809869527_8683183413_z.jpg

2006D SMS 50C MS67 obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6809872599_7ae0d8e5ee_z.jpg

2006D SMS 50C MS67 rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

Well I do have a Kennedy that seems to be a rather nice one.

This is one from a Mint Set--Grades conservatively at MS-67 Satin Finish

1293916265-CS080-2.jpg

1293916265-CS080-1.jpg

And maybe not the right space to do this but since it is related to the topic (sort of)

It is up for sale at http://www.usacoinbook.com/item/3793/

Is the "satin finish" something that was specially minted?
From 2005 to 2010 the US Mint set coins were struck in this "Satin" finish.

The Mint discontinued the practice in 2011 and went back to the regular "Uncirculated" finish.

The Satin Finish half dollar shown above was removed from a Mint set.

Does anyone have some good photos of an 1964 "Heavily Accented Hair" proof?

A side by side photo comparison would be great.

Does anyone have some good photos of an 1964 "Heavily Accented Hair" proof?

A side by side photo comparison would be great.

There are some on this site somewhere. I believe SMS or someone posted them.

And thanks for the above explanation!

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked at my Kennedy half set, and realized something. I have the Whitman book that has holes for all the issued coins, including proof-only issues. It turns out I have 13 of those proof-only holes filled! This might not seem unusual, until you know that I did not buy a SINGLE one of these coins! Every one was found either in pocket change or from rolls I got at the bank. Doesn't that seem like a lot of broken up and spent proof sets?

I just looked at my Kennedy half set, and realized something. I have the Whitman book that has holes for all the issued coins, including proof-only issues. It turns out I have 13 of those proof-only holes filled! This might not seem unusual, until you know that I did not buy a SINGLE one of these coins! Every one was found either in pocket change or from rolls I got at the bank. Doesn't that seem like a lot of broken up and spent proof sets?

It does seem like a lot. I've got a number of Kennedy proofs that I've found in rolls but not sure what the count would be.

Are Kennedy's the most likely proof coin to find in circulation?

I would say that they're all equally likely to show up in circulation or rolls, but since halves don't get used by the public much, roll searchers are much more likely to come across them, while other denominations end up actually circulating, where they may get spotted and kept by the general public as something different.

I'm thinking of getting some halfs from the bank and doing a search. Silver is getting pretty expensive. BUT the last few searches didn't yield much.

Archived