CoinPeople.com

$100 1979 22 karat coin value?

Sphenny

So I bought this years ago when I was a teenager collecting coins. I'd long since thought I'd lost the collection when my mom found it cleaning out the old farm house this year. The only coin in the collection, that I can tell, that is worth anything is this one. As stated it's the 1979 $100 22 karat coin with the 6 children dancing around the face of it. It still has the leather case and certificate of authenticity so I'm wondering how much it's worth and therefore if I should sell it since we could use the money.

It's got about a half ounce of gold in it and is pretty much traded based on the price of gold since it's worth more as scrap than as a collectible. Currently, you should be able to get about $750-$800 for it, and not a penny less.

It's got about a half ounce of gold in it and is pretty much traded based on the price of gold since it's worth more as scrap than as a collectible. Currently, you should be able to get about $750-$800 for it, and not a penny less.

Pretty much this. Dealers won't pay full spot for them as they aren't pure 24k gold or as recognized/in demand as maples and other government issued bullion coins.

These coins had collectible value when they were issued. But that was a long time ago and the value of the gold content in them now has increased so much that there's no collectible premium attached to them.

100$22kt1979.jpg

This was part of a series of Proof gold coins. They started off in 1977 as 22k gold (1/2oz gold content) and were later decreased in size and lowered to 14k gold (1/4oz gold content) starting in 1987. Each year is a commemorative of some sort. Some of the more recent ones are also colourized.

100$22kt1979.jpg

This was part of a series of Proof gold coins. They started off in 1977 as 22k gold (1/2oz gold content) and were later decreased in size and lowered to 14k gold (1/4oz gold content) starting in 1987. Each year is a commemorative of some sort. Some of the more recent ones are also colourized.

Thanks, those are great replies. Considering I bought it as a teen years ago for $125 I figure that's not too bad a mark up.

I think I'll hold on to it, as has been said the price of gold has been going up and who knows where the value will go. I'll keep it for that dark day when dollars are scarce.

Archived