CoinPeople.com

1871 3 Rouble copper trial strike?? Any opinions?

booka

I'm looking for more info regarding what looks like a copper trial strike for 1871 3 Rouble coin. This copper coin looks exactly like a "normal" gold 3-Rouble coin; the thickness and diameter are the same. The previous owner claims that he bought it from a private coin collector in Europe 11 years ago. The patina looks original; the coin certainly feels and looks old, but I can't find any information in my books or on line regarding this piece. Could this be a trial strike for a new die before it went on to strike gold coins? Or this this one is just another bummer? Any help with the authentification and pricing would be greatly appreciated!

Please click for photos:

http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/booka28/

I'm looking for more info regarding what looks like a copper trial strike for 1871 3 Rouble coin. This copper coin looks exactly like a "normal" gold 3-Rouble coin; the thickness and diameter are the same. The previous owner claims that he bought it from a private coin collector in Europe 11 years ago. The patina looks original; the coin certainly feels and looks old, but I can't find any information in my books or on line regarding this piece. Could this be a trial strike for a new die before it went on to strike gold coins? Or this this one is just another bummer? Any help with the authentification and pricing would be greatly appreciated!

Please click for photos:

http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/booka28/

IMHO, fake.

IMHO, fake.

Thanks, Cheburgen. I'm not even sure what I am looking at. The coin looks pretty convincing, but I found "0" information on this particular type; may be it is too good to be true. Other opinions guys?

Archived