thedeadpoint

Guys,

It's time to start fielding entrants for PCI 2011 :yahoo:

Based on voting, here are the categories:

Seven Materials Trees:

Gold

Silver

Copper

Other Precious Metals (platinum, palladium, etc)

Other Base Metals (nickel, Cu-Ni, steel, aluminum, etc)

Bimetallic (must be significantly and obviously bimetallic (i.e. silver plugged copper coins are still considered copper))

Non-Metallic (wood, ceramic, paper, etc)

In each tree, there will be 8 branches:

Group 1: Ancient & Medievel: XX-1500AD

Group 2: 1501-1700

Group 3: 1701-1800

Group 4: 1801-1900

Group 5: 1901-Present

Group 6: NCLT

Group 7: Exonumia

Group 8: Special Coins - anything you collect that you feel warrants being outside the other catagories.

Here are the entry rules based on the PCI 2010 rules as derived by Art:

1. You may enter as many of the groups as you wish.

2. You may enter three (3) coins in each group.

3. Submit only coins that belong to you - no borrowed coins or borrowed images

3.a A heading before each coin image url should in the following format:

...your ID; tree ID; group ID; coin description

For example: Sylvester, Silver, 1901-Present, 1930-P USA Standing Liberty Quarter

4. Images of the coins must be in omnicoin.com --- reasons for this have been discussed on a number of occasions.

5. Please post your images for each group in a single post in the proper thread for that group. (I WILL BE MAKING THESE THREADS THIS WEEK! Check back at this forum!)

6. Post only the url of the image -- not an img post

7. Include a brief description of the coin/item that you would like included along with the image in the competition. Here's your chance to bring the historic importance to the forefront.

8. The submission threads will be opened when PCI2011 officially begins and locked before the first competition postings take place. Until they're locked you can edit your post to make whatever changes needed. Make sure I know when you made a major edit. Please do not add additional posts to the submission threads.

Please review and let me have your comments.

I need further permissions to set up sub-forums before I can start accepting entries.

Also, if anyone wants to volunteer to manage one of the categories (like.. YeOldeCollector may want to manage the Ancients or bill manage the exonumia), please let me know.

Non-circulating legal tender. Such as commemorative half or dollar. Silver eagles, Lewis and Clark commemorative, Ben Franklin, etc.

Thanks, Mark. :art: Would classic 50c silver commemoratives go here (Oregon Trail, etc.)? They did circulate back in their days...

I can't wait for this to really get going. Time for me to get my camera out of its case and take it to the bank. As if I needed an excuse... :rolleyes:

Also, if anyone wants to volunteer to manage one of the categories (like.. YeOldeCollector may want to manage the Ancients or bill manage the exonumia), please let me know.

I wouldn't say no to helping out where possible.

I am going to assume that coins I used to have but sold are verboten.

The rule has always been that you must own the coin you enter.

Right now, the schedule is at the mercy of: CPs problems, Anton giving me full permissions in the PCI forum, and my personal/work/school schedules.

I'm guessing we'll close NEXT Sunday. But who knows when we'll open.

Why not use the PCI2010 forum for the entry threads for PCI2011 and we can move them when the new forum is created?

What I *planned* to do is:

- 7 Subforums for each metal/material

- in each subforum, I'll post the entrant submittal threads.

Sounds good to me. I guess we wait for Anton to get the stuff setup and your authorizations done. I'm ok with that because I still have to go to the bank to get my coins and photograph them. That will take some time.

Patience Scott, patience. :)

When this does get going it will be a brilliant contest and I'm sure we'll get to see some lovely examples.

OK....Here we go.

There are threads in PCI2010 for each of the seven materials trees. Within these threads please post your entries for each group labelled for that group. Remember you can enter three coins for each group within each material tree. Entries in the format below are greatly appreciated.

SAMPLE:

Art, Copper, 1801-1900, 1853 US Large Cent

Art 1853 Large Cent

This will be posted in my one post in the Copper Materials Tree thread. If I decide to change coins are add coins, I do it by editing the single post that I have made.

Thanks and best of luck to all of you.

Entries open: 9August2011

Entries close: 19August 2011 at 11:59PM

Question here In the rules posts it says you can include a description to the coin. All of the responses so far are fairly sparse. Just wondering if this is okay.

Mark Stilson, silver, Group 1 Ancient & Medievel: XX-1500AD,

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander III ‘the Great’. 336-323 BC. AR Tetradrachm ‘Amphipolis’ mint. Struck under Kassander, circa 316-315 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; axe in left field, monogram below throne. Price 139; Troxell, Studies, Group L, 10

Alexander the great Tetradracm

Question here In the rules posts it says you can include a description to the coin. All of the responses so far are fairly sparse. Just wondering if this is okay.

Mark Stilson, silver, Group 1 Ancient & Medievel: XX-1500AD,

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander III ‘the Great’. 336-323 BC. AR Tetradrachm ‘Amphipolis’ mint. Struck under Kassander, circa 316-315 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; axe in left field, monogram below throne. Price 139; Troxell, Studies, Group L, 10

Alexander the great Tetradracm

Not just OK. It's great.

Archived