CoinPeople.com

5 Kopeks 1789KM with dot

sigistenz

In 1788 the KM mint introduced a new eagle design with a narrow scroll/ribbon below the eagle. The denomination (Five kopeks in cyrillic) is always placed asymmetrically with more free space behind than ahead. Taking into account the masterly design, it is unlikely that the unequal placing happened by negligence.

It cries for a dot behind the legend. For some reason or other it is absent. :confus:

Mostly.

See 4 examples below of 1788 to 1790 coins. The 5th one, however, shows a 1789KM with the dot. Compare how harmonic that scroll is.

Of all the Catherine II piataks, Yusupow mentions a dot behind the denomination only once, at a (scarce) variant of the 1763CM 5kopek. Nowhere else.

Your comments greatly appreciated, thanks, Sigi

5x5kopkm.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

5kop1789km3dot.jpg

-

Maybe another?

Yes, indeed, Bob, that's another 1789 with dot :ok:

What puzzles me is that the great majority of that type have the space for the dot forseen but the dot itself missing. Sigi

-

I guess my name is Bob now :lol:

I am sorry - I was busy with 2 things at the same time, which is too much for a retired person :shock:

Please let's stay friends, I won't do it again. Sigi

Very interesting! Thanks for pointing this out!!!

Thank you, Alex - and would you show a better picture of the rare 1764 coin you won these days? :drool:

I was undecided to bid on it or not. Sometimes a coin turns out to be nicer in hand than on the eBay picture.

Sometimes is is the other way round.

Thanks again, Sigi

-

Thank you, Alex - and would you show a better picture of the rare 1764 coin you won these days? :drool:

I was undecided to bid on it or not. Sometimes a coin turns out to be nicer in hand than on the eBay picture.

Sometimes is is the other way round.

Thanks again, Sigi

Will post pictures once (and if) I receive it. I think I finally figured out how to use my camera. :)

• 2 weeks later...

in catalog Wolmar - small mint mark letters graded as R1

Archived