CoinPeople.com

Clamshell error coin

I have this South African R2.00 (Rand) coin which has been verified in a letter by our mint that is was made by them. I have read various blogs and error coin sites about clamshell errors being very unusual/uncommon and our mint did agree. In fact they said that they had never seen a coin come out of the mint like this one. But, I haven't been able to find anyone in SA that would be interested in buying this coin or at least, don't know where to find who would be interested! What is your opinion - should I keep looking to sell or hold on it to as it has no real value??

IMG00503-20110124-1608.jpg

IMG00500-20110124-1607.jpg

IMG00466-20110120-1509.jpg

Hello Debbie and welcome to CoinPeople. Have you checked auction sites like ebay for similar coins. It's an interesting looking error. Has the mint verified that it was a mint error vs. post minting modification?

Hi Art. Yes, I have attached the letter from them confirming that it is during the manufacturing process (not sure if you can read it though). I have looked at auction sites, etc but haven't seen anything like this other than on sites that only give details on various errors. It can't be a common error.... unfortunately the mint cannot suggest buyers for these things as they say "they only make them!" Most other coin sites in South Africa seem to be interested in gold coins, Mandela coins and graded coins!!!

Clamshells are indeed a rather scarce type of error, but perhaps also one of the least understood and collected, in my experience. Canadian clamshell 1c and 10c I've seen go from $20 to $100 depending on date, condition, how dramatic it is, and also on whether or not there happens to be interest in that piece at the time.

Archived