CoinPeople.com

Austrian Thaler Maybe ?????????

Old Coin

I thought this was a Russian coin but someone told me it was Austrian. I have been looking around http://www.medievalc...y-habsburg2.htm and have found nothing exactly like the one I have. I'm starting to think it maybe a forgery. What would the be value of a Thaler in those days compared to today ? I'm trying to figure out why someone would make a forgery of a silver coin. The work that would be involved in making a forgery, not to mention the risk of getting caught would be amazing.

DSCN2469 (2).JPG

I thought this was a Russian coin but someone told me it was Austrian. I have been looking around http://www.medievalc...y-habsburg2.htm and have found nothing exactly like the one I have. I'm starting to think it maybe a forgery. What would the be value of a Thaler in those days compared to today ? I'm trying to figure out why someone would make a forgery of a silver coin. The work that would be involved in making a forgery, not to mention the risk of getting caught would be amazing.

This is the other side.

DSCN2470 (2).JPG

It may be a medal. Dated 1605, so if you are checking medieval sites you could be barking up the wrong tree.

The Latin lettering should have been a tipoff it wasn't Russian, even though Russia also uses a two headed eagle emblem (and still does, so it's probably more famous for doing so than the Austrian empire is, nowadays). (Not to mention the reverse says AVSTRIE at 6 oclock!) Russia did not issue any thaler-sized coinage until 1704 (with the exception of some super-rare stuff from the 1650s).

I believe it is dated 1695 as Leopold I (the Hogmouth) ruled between 1658 - 1705. Whether it is genuine or not I do not know but you can

Look here at one of Leo I dated 1695 & the 9 somewhat looks like 0 and yours is I believe a weakly struck 9 not 0.

I suspect it is a fake after looking at a few examples of his coins online but this is not my field of expertise please wait for some more knowledgeable opinions. I hope it is genuine, I would love to be proved wrong :)

I believe it is dated 1695 as Leopold I (the Hogmouth) ruled between 1658 - 1705. Whether it is genuine or not I do not know but you can

Look here at one of Leo I dated 1695 & the 9 somewhat looks like 0 and yours is I believe a weakly struck 9 not 0.

I suspect it is a fake after looking at a few examples of his coins online but this is not my field of expertise please wait for some more knowledgeable opinions. I hope it is genuine, I would love to be proved wrong :)

I agree. I looked at the 9 and 0 under a magnifier and I'm pretty sure it's a 9. The facial features are very odd, but in a different way than ( the Hogmouth) I originally thought it might be Russian because it was joined to a Russian medal.

DSCN2469.JPG

I stopped by a place at the mall today called the "Coin Shop" It was just a booth that was set up for two day's in a vacant store to buy coins. Total rip off deal, They were just buying everything at scrap silver prices. The guy said they would just melt it all down. :rofl: Lot's of those guy's around these days. I suspect this medal is a fake. I just can't figure why someone would bother. It would be a lot of work I would think. I'll try the fake coin forum here and see what they think. Thanks for all your help !!!

Archived