CoinPeople.com

Thank you, Coinpeople!

thedeadpoint

I've been an active coinperson for just over 5 years now!

In addition to this milestone, I hit 10,000 posts a few weeks ago. (Sadly, probably 75% are from the Asylum when I was procrastinating on schoolwork and coin threads were slow. But I've made a lot of friends in the Asylum. :bthumbsup: ).

I came to Coinpeople.com after reading an article in Coinage magazine. The article was about the top 10 coin websites. Among them were Teletrade and Heritage.com. Coinpeople.com was on the list. I don't remember the reviews exactly, but the author raved about this website. He said it's filled with enthusiastic and very welcoming collectors that care about eachother as much as coins. This is a very rare forum - we have very little spam, most questions are answered quickly and with thoughtful answers, and there are very few non-coin discussions in the main forums.

I tried it out as soon as I read that article (Here's my first post!) and I've been addicted ever since. Since that summer before my junior year in college, I've been to CP every single day I had internet, usually several times a day. I visit this site more often than any other. This is the only forum I am a member of on the internet, and I'm happy with that.

I've learned a lot from all of you and consider many friends (even on facebook). (I've even met one or two of you in person and hope to meet more!) This site has inspired me and saved me when I've been down on my luck. I think my GPA has even been affected by CP.

Anywho, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who have made this such a great website. I don't want to call my biggest role models out individually for fear of missing one, but you know who you are. I look forward to many more years here at CP.

Also, get ready for the next Popular Coin Idol! Entry rules are coming soon!!!

Thanks, everyone!

George

PS I know this is not the ideal forum for this post, but it's the most visited and I'm sure many people fill similarly to me.

I beat you here by 6 months, but I only have a fifth of the postings that you do. Mike Marotta's column in the Numismatist attracted me to the site. I've been happy I joined as well.

I stumbled in here by accident. Though I wasn't drunk I've definitely become addicted! Many of you I consider good friends, the rest of you know who you are... ;)

I beat you here by 6 months, but I only have a fifth of the postings that you do. Mike Marotta's column in the Numismatist attracted me to the site. I've been happy I joined as well.

What about his article drew you here? I know he's an occasional poster and contributor.

Very nice George. I'm personally very happy that you came and decided to be part of the CoinPeople family. While some of us have way more posts in the Asylum than in the main forum, I think the Asylum is one of the features that has kept the site alive and solidified many of the friendships here. It's a great relief to be able to fool around with your friends without detracting from the main emphasis of Numismatics supported here.

Well said, George! You've expressed the sentinemts that many of us (certainly me, at least) feel about this forum. I've lurked on a few other forums, even tried some out, but this is the one that seems to have people who are genuinely supportive of each other and their collecting interests. But don't forget that it's people like you, George, (among others) who are the forum and make it what it is. :bthumbsup:

What about his article drew you here? I know he's an occasional poster and contributor.

He used to have an Internet column in The Numismatist. He reviewed various online groups and gave CoinPeople high marks. I too came to see, I saw, and I stayed.

• 3 weeks later...

Five years! I hope it will be many more that you stay for too, you are definately one of the members that helped to build this place.

Congratulations!

Thanks, but it was a flourishing community when I joined. I love the occasional tale of the pre-June 2005 days of CP. Maybe someone who knows it will make a stand-alone thread of the history of CP in the Welcome forum. There we can post articles like the one that drew me here, sharing how CP is more than just a bunch of coin freaks.

Thanks, but it was a flourishing community when I joined. I love the occasional tale of the pre-June 2005 days of CP. Maybe someone who knows it will make a stand-alone thread of the history of CP in the Welcome forum. There we can post articles like the one that drew me here, sharing how CP is more than just a bunch of coin freaks.

Stujoe's your man for the full history up to the end of the old forum, in fact when this new Coinpeople was launched I believe Stujoe did post a thread detailing the history of Coinpeople with old webshots from various years, going all the way back to when the forum was called the Stujoe Collection, I can't remember exactly when the forum became Coinpeople I'm afraid that one somehow passed me by, although I do remember it being called the Stujoe Collection when I joined. From what I remember I followed a link to this forum (or at least the old version of it) from the rcc boards in May 2003. Although there weren't many regular posters at that time iirc, that came a little later. By 2004 there was a solid crew of regulars.

Art's another long serving resident, he might remember things I've forgotten.

Wow! :shock:

Here is the old Coinpeople site resurrected from the dead, have a look around, It appears that (apart from a small handful of posts), everything is suspended in time as it was when the old site went down in 2005!

Old CP

Looking at the members page the first member is Stujoe who 'joined' on 6th May 2003. So I guess this is Coinpeople's founding day/birthday? ;)

George, in one of your responses to one of my coin roll searching posts you remarked about the enthusiasm I had for finding an Indian cent in rolls - what with the coins I was purchasing for beaucoup bucks - I seemingly was more excited about finding those coins in the wild that auctions etc. And crazily enough - very observant of you. It is something that has sort of taken over my pursuits in collecting.

In the past 4 months I have found 3 Indian cents, 3 Liberty nickels, 40+ war nickels, 35+ Buffalo nickels, 74 40% silver halves, 9 90% halves, 3 rolls of Ikes - one just today. I have about 50 1930s era Jeffersons, several hundred 1940's as well as even more 1950's dated nickels - including now several of the somewhat elusive 1950 Philly and the '51-D, also found a 38-D Buffalo and Jefferson and a 38-S Jeff. Also several proof nickels, and now a roll of proof halves from roll finds.

It has been awhile since I have dropped big bucks on coins or banknotes. This is going back to the core of collecting, it truly can be compared to gambling, but no real losses beyond time - and sometimes some pretty exciting finds.

I mention this because your response really did strike a chord with me. I thought it was very astute and perhaps even inspirational for you to suggest doing something with numismatics that is more luck of the draw and quite a bit more thrilling.

So in closing congratulations on your five years, and thanks for an inspiration too. :bthumbsup:

It reduces coin collecting completely to the thrill of the chase, that's for sure! My tastes run to stuff I do have to pay some money for, but I tend to want to have to hunt for it too.

I could easily find a 1909 S VDB in MS-65RD at any sizeable coin show. It's not challenging, just expensive. But underneath this guy with the formerly-famous Russian imperial collection is a kid who, forty or more years ago, went through his parents' change bowl looking for stuff he didn't have in his whitman folders.

Wow! :shock:

Here is the old Coinpeople site resurrected from the dead, have a look around, It appears that (apart from a small handful of posts), everything is suspended in time as it was when the old site went down in 2005!

Old CP

Looking at the members page the first member is Stujoe who 'joined' on 6th May 2003. So I guess this is Coinpeople's founding day/birthday? ;)

Signs point to yes.

;)

That was the date the forum as it is now was born. There were pre-cursors with stuff like the Grading Challenge and Museum and Articles that existed back a couple years prior (the rcc era) and some of those even had forums associated with them. But, for a continuous lineage to the current forums, that is the date where everything got firmed up and became mostly recognizable as what it is today.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Look at all the great comments everyone has! I've got a few more of my own but will wait til an hour when I'm more rested. Meanwhile, if anyone else has a few tidbits or stories they cherish from CP, please share!

I think I came apon CP thru a Google search. I joined to comment on a few posts as I did on several coin forums and then I stumbled into the aslyum(best test thread I think). I was hooked. That and the contests. People will actually send you free stuff? My inactivity is due more to computer problems than lack interest.

Archived