CoinPeople.com

Currency Tracking

Wes

I am new to collecting currency, I collected some coins and currency when I was a child and recently rediscovered it. I collected mostly modern U.S. coins to this point. I have roughly 100 banknotes from when I was younger and I decided to start collecting El Salvador notes.

What is the best way to track your currency collection, especially world notes?

Excel databse

Some type of Software

Online database

Hello Wes and welcome to CoinPeople. I track very little of my collection but I do have a collection of US $1 FRNs by series and block. I track that in a spreadsheet.

Hi Wes!

I keep track with a spreadsheet, and I find that to be quite sufficient. I would recommend a good software program called Compass Collectibles as well if you don't want to make your own. I've tried a couple programs, and one was terrible, but Compass Collectibles was rather nice. You of course have to pay for it and the upgrades, etc.

I also use BanknoteBank.com to house photos/scans of my notes - it's a great repository that I can access anywhere and readily share if I want to. OmniCoin.com is the same, but for coins only.

Hope that helps - And welcome to Coin People! What got you back into collecting after so long?

Hi Wes!

I keep track with a spreadsheet, and I find that to be quite sufficient. I would recommend a good software program called Compass Collectibles as well if you don't want to make your own. I've tried a couple programs, and one was terrible, but Compass Collectibles was rather nice. You of course have to pay for it and the upgrades, etc.

I also use BanknoteBank.com to house photos/scans of my notes - it's a great repository that I can access anywhere and readily share if I want to. OmniCoin.com is the same, but for coins only.

Hope that helps - And welcome to Coin People! What got you back into collecting after so long?

It's kind of two stories coming together. I invest in stocks and through research determined the CLCT was somewhat undervalued sometime back. Did some research on them and their products, PCGS, PSA, PSE, etc. and invested in the company. Around this time I was looking for a Christmas gift for my brother, he collects baseball cards and was a little weary buying cards on ebay, but settled on PSA graded cards. These two things came together and I now collect moderm PCGS slabbed coins. I also have some slabbed currency. I focused on my birth year and my son's birth year. With my wife being from El Salvador and my son being half I figured I would collect U.S. slabbed coins and unslabbed El Salvador coin and currency.

For me the slabbed U.S. coins offered easy entry back into the market and now with the El Salvadorian coin and currency I'm attempting to really learn about the finer things like grading.

Archived