CoinPeople.com

So many presidents...

Finn235

So, I just found out that my hours at work next week have been cut significantly, and to help kill some time, I am considering a venture into my final frontier of coin roll hunting:

Dollar coins.

Now, this will be new for me because:

1. Due to the unique size of the coin, there is a 0% chance of finding anything prior to 1979.

2. Due to the monumental unpopularity of the dollar coin, there is a good chance that I will get a box full of BU rolls the bank couldn't dump on anyone else.

However, my experiences with dollar coins in the past has yielded two of the low-mintage Sac dollars of '04 and '05, and as long as I can get a mixed box, my chance of finding additional collector coins (or even proofs) is higher.

Now, before I pick this up, one question has been burning in the back of my mind: Can I turn a "skunk" box of BU rolls into a profit by taking them to e-bay? I'm not very experienced with the 'bay, and I have no idea how reliable this is for turning a profit once one accounts for such factors as posting fees and shipping costs.

So, I just found out that my hours at work next week have been cut significantly, and to help kill some time, I am considering a venture into my final frontier of coin roll hunting:

Dollar coins.

Now, this will be new for me because:

1. Due to the unique size of the coin, there is a 0% chance of finding anything prior to 1979.

2. Due to the monumental unpopularity of the dollar coin, there is a good chance that I will get a box full of BU rolls the bank couldn't dump on anyone else.

However, my experiences with dollar coins in the past has yielded two of the low-mintage Sac dollars of '04 and '05, and as long as I can get a mixed box, my chance of finding additional collector coins (or even proofs) is higher.

Now, before I pick this up, one question has been burning in the back of my mind: Can I turn a "skunk" box of BU rolls into a profit by taking them to e-bay? I'm not very experienced with the 'bay, and I have no idea how reliable this is for turning a profit once one accounts for such factors as posting fees and shipping costs.

Good luck and happy hunting. I would think that anything short of errors would be rather difficult to turn for a profit on ebay or elsewhere. There really isn't much interest. Most of the folks who are doing Presidential dollars seem to be going for slabbed proof coins in the 69 or even 70 range. But since you pay face and can turn them at face why not give it a good shot.

Just from what I've seen and remembered margins are slim on them. If any at all. And those have been complete unopened rolls. At first some of the "error" prone ones did run for a premium, Just a fast check unopened James Madison 25.00 Dollar Roll did not sell for $25.99 but also had $5.99 shipping. Mint roll sets have a following though.

Safe to say I will never do that again.

My bank only had a half-box ($500) of customer-wrapped rolls.

No errors. No godless dollars. No cheerios dollars. No collector-only issues.

I managed to snag a couple BU Grant dollars, and there were a surprising number of the '11 Sac dollars, all from Denver (My area is served exclusively by Philadelphia).

Fortunately, it didn't take much more than 20 minutes.

I only search dollars if I've gotten them anyway for spending. Too much hastle for very little worth holding on to.

I will admit, the five digits associated with auction prices of the Cheerios dollar kept me going through this batch. I thought I found one on the 4th roll and nearly soiled myself, but then discovered it was merely my eyes playing tricks on me. Apparently certain coins have faint vertical lines through the wing feathers, but not the characteristic lines in the tail feathers.

At the very least, I was hoping for one of the '02-'08 Sacs, since I statistically should have found one this time based on how many I have found in the past. But as Saor said, there is a reason why I keep coming back to the nickels.

Glad to see someone is finding something in change.

I got burnt out on this Christmas, when I picked up 7, 5 gal buckets of change, from a local business

Didn't find enough to justify the trouble.

Found maybe 100 Wheats, 2 V nickles, 1 silver dime, NO silver qtrs.

But I have found $10 in silver qtrs, 2, 1921 Morgans, and a $20 Hawaii note from the local Discount Tobacco place.

I had a deal to buy any odd coins and currency they find.

Archived