CoinPeople.com

Old Russian/Prussian Coin/Medallions

Old Coin

Greetings to All. My Dad started me collecting coins when I was a kid but I never really got to serious about collecting coins other than being a "Pack Rat" until recently. I inherited some personal coins from my Wife's Uncle. He was a Old Hungarian Jeweler from the "Old Country" I only seem to be able to post one picture at a time. If I'm supposed to use a Gallery, could someone show me where ??? Thanks I think I have figured out the gallery. I just post some pictures. Can you only attach one photo per post ???

DSCN2467.JPG

Welcome, just got here myself.

It looks like a Russian Ruble

KM# 90 Silv 1 Ruble, VF $15.oo USD

1 Ruble (gross wt.gr)10.9957, (silv)0.9000, (silv gr.)17.9961, (troy oz.)0.5786

Thanks, I posted some pictures in a gallery. I'm not to sure of the site map yet. One medallion I'm especially curious about is this one.

DSCN2469.JPG

The medal with Nicholas II ("za usierdie") - means "for fervency" - 150-180 USD;

Second with dates 1881-1894 is commemoration of the rule Alexander III rd - price ... I think the same ..maybe little higher..

I think the date is 1695. I've been trying to figure out if the figure is a man or woman. The eyes seem unnaturally high, then there is the mustache, not to mention the hair style. Those were the day's. :rofl: The medallion seems to have retained much of it's original luster. I know it has never been chemically cleaned as long as I have had it. I know my wife's Uncle would know better than to clean it with anything other than a soft cotton cloth. I wonder if there is any chance it could be Platinum ??? The Ural Mountains being the only place other than British Columbia, "The Tulameen" to be specific that free placer Platinum can be found

DSCN2470.JPG

You were asking about Russian medals.

The third one with the date 1695 is not Russian so don't ask here.

It is Austria reign of Leopold. It is not hard to figure that ... For sure it is silver and that's all.

Forget about platinium.

The Austrian piece - the style (of the portrait, and the font, especially) is very uncharacteristic of the era that it puports to be from, and is likely an late 19th - 20th century jeweler's imitation.

The Austrian piece - the style (of the portrait, and the font, especially) is very uncharacteristic of the era that it puports to be from, and is likely an late 19th - 20th century jeweler's imitation.

That's interesting. I've been thinking the same. I have been looking around http://www.medievalc...y-habsburg2.htm and have found nothing exactly like the one I have. What would the be value of a Thaler in those days compared to today ? I'm trying to figure out why someone would make a forgery of a silver coin. The work that would be involved in making a forgery, not to mention the risk of getting caught would be amazing.

800px-Hungary-thaler-leopold-1692.png

What would the be value of a Thaler in those days compared to today ?

Hard to say - comparing the value of a given unit of currency across time and location is difficult. Even when the time is fixed (e.g. July 2011), the value of $1 in Vancouver, $1 in New York, and $1 in Mexico City are all relatively different.

I'm trying to figure out why someone would make a forgery of a silver coin.

In the 19th century, and into the early 20th century, it was not unusual for cast copies of silver coins to be made, usually in lead. Mid-sized (e.g. 25c - 50c, or eqivalent) denominations were most frequently targeted. I've seen lead copies of British shillings from the 1810s to the 1920s.

Even copies of nickel coins are known for the 20th century, including French 5Fr from the 1930s and US nickels from the 1940s.

As for jeweler's copies - if done in quantity, it's cheaper, and much more convenient for a jewelry maker to make coin-like metal discs for use in jewelry than to use actual coins. It's been done to this day.

Archived