CoinPeople.com

Tiny George III Medal 1801?

DSCN2734.jpg

DSCN2733.jpg

This is BHM#515 Brown lists it as Br. C. 14mm by Kettle

Dalton & Hammer lists it as silver RR. Middx 1167, by Little(I think it is in fact Kettle) but has no image.

Also Dr Sriro's D&H picture CD has no image.

I have not come across one before and can find no image on-line, all of which lead me to think it is very rare.

Mine has copy/reducing lines, centre point of turning, is struck from an unfinished die, unfinished face, hair etc, 'E's missing elements etc.

Further' its small size 14mm & quality of engaving, plus no Atkins# makes me think that it could have been struck in 1814 or 1815 and Brown just placed it as 1801(Amiens) because of 'peace & plenty' on the reverse & with it being placed with the D&H farthings which have 'peace & plenty' on them. The reverse looks as if it was also struck from an unfinished die.

So it could be either a common medal(BHM) or a very rare one(D&H), it could be for 1801 Peace of Amiens or for the Peace of Paris 1814 but what is not in doubt is that it was struck from unfinished dies and until I can find another example I do not know if the dies had more work done to them.

Nice example!

I love a mystery and here's my 2 pfennigs. I'm leaning toward the Peace of Amiens for two reasons. The bust looks somewhat like George II rather than George III. There were still a few old engravers using their memories (nearly 30 years old!) of the old King working in 1801, there are a couple of Conders that are clearly George II. But by 1814 most of those gentlmen would be happily (we hope) retired or working for the Master Engraver Himself. Secondly its unfinished nature argues that it was in progress when the peace was broken, rushed out the door to try to make a few sales, and then pulled when war definitively broke out again.

I have to agree about it being Kettle's work though they preferred brass for the most part. It's pretty clearly a munged up name in the exergue and Forrer lists no "Little" in either the main volumes or the Supplement.

I love a mystery and here's my 2 pfennigs.

I like that sentence :) and your logic.

I sent pictures to Philip Attwood at the British Museum and asked him if he would check the museum's example to see if it was struck from the same unfinished dies;

" We have two examples of Brown 515, both AE. Neither has the turning marks or the missing bits you mention.

I can't see any reason why the medal couldn't belong to 1814 or 1815 although similar sentiments are expressed in other medals by Kettle dated 1801, which I think is not the case for the later dates.

I will see if we can supply images"

So at least I now know that the dies had some more engraving done to them. How many were struck from the unfinished dies? Is mine technically a trial strike?

When I spotted this on eBay the pictures were poor quality & small(not surprising considering how tiny it is) so I had no idea about it being struck from unfinished dies. So when it arrived I was happily surprised by its condition, I suspect that some collectors might not have been. So, as much as I actively search for trial strikes, medals with copy lines etc, I have to admit that this one found me :)