CoinPeople.com

Overstruck 5 kopecks 1795

crukkh

Hello,

Being a relative novice, I'm somewhat puzzled by this coin - it looks like it was struck over the same 5 kopecks coin but on reverse sides - I can clearly see a mirror reflection of an "E" and an "M" as well as other signs of it being overstruck, but why the mirror image? Thanks for your input.

c969db6b06b5df2afc2cae44b9f17254.jpg

It was like that:

One coin was struck than by accident new "disk" was placed on allready made coin.

Again struck and you have "mirror picture" of the coin - than again they overstrike it (to correct previous mistake) And here we have puzzle :art:

So what do you guys think about this specimen? :)

Was it worth the $53 I paid for it? Besides being irregular in the way PeterShell described in his post, I also believe the details are pretty sharp?

Thanks for your input and I really appreciate the atmosphere of this board!

It was like that:

One coin was struck than by accident new "disk" was placed on allready made coin.

Again struck and you have "mirror picture" of the coin - than again they overstrike it (to correct previous mistake) And here we have puzzle :art:

Here's the reverse, also with signs of an overstrike, apparent near the heads.

What are your thoughts?

Development of steel was only in its beginning. Coin dies posed problems because then the structure of steel was not yet homogeneous, resulting in harder and softer areas on the same die. Accidentally it happened that no blank was fed into the press. The two dies then did not hit the planchet but one another. With the poor quality of steel, one die could receive a partial impression of the opposite die. The coins struck from then on showed traces of the die clash.

Yours is an example of a double die clash.

Thank you for showing, Sigi :yes:

-

Thank you for your comment!

Was the double die clash a relatively rare occurrence? I guess I'm trying to figure out if this adds to the value of the coin :)

I'm happy with it having that extra bit of history either way :)

Development of steel was only in its beginning. Coin dies posed problems because then the structure of steel was not yet homogeneous, resulting in harder and softer areas on the same die. Accidentally it happened that no blank was fed into the press. The two dies then did not hit the planchet but one another. With the poor quality of steel, one die could receive a partial impression of the opposite die. The coins struck from then on showed traces of the die clash.

Yours is an example of a double die clash.

Thank you for showing, Sigi :yes:

-

Thank you for your comment!

Was the double die clash a relatively rare occurrence? I guess I'm trying to figure out if this adds to the value of the coin :)

I'm happy with it having that extra bit of history either way :)

Visible die clashes are not very rare. Double die clashes are of course seen less often. In my humble opinion die clashes are not being sought after as they do not add to the beauty of a coin. But you got an example of a very distinctive double die clash, which is interesting and not common at all. It illustrates the minting problems of the time and sure is worthy of any serious collection :bthumbsup: . Enjoy your catch, Sigi

-

Thank you everyone for an opportunity to learn. Very much appreciated!

Visible die clashes are not very rare. Double die clashes are of course seen less often. In my humble opinion die clashes are not being sought after as they do not add to the beauty of a coin. But you got an example of a very distinctive double die clash, which is interesting and not common at all. It illustrates the minting problems of the time and sure is worthy of any serious collection :bthumbsup: . Enjoy your catch, Sigi

-

Archived