CoinPeople.com

Unknown seal

mike_numis

Im pretty certain that it's a seal and not a coin. I also feel like the image of the shield is upside-down; it seems like there is a date of 1601 as well as a crown (on bottom currently) if rotated. I would venture this is just a seal used to close off a chest or something of the sort. It's pretty interesting though, I've had many wax document seals that are very similar to this.

Unfortunately I haven't the foggiest. Someone else might know more on the heraldry though, try someone from the "world coin" section that seems more knowledgeable...otherwise...Internet search?

One of the things about seals is they could be made for a wider range of people. I went ahead and turned it 180 degrees. I'm thinking the "shield" is a old style beehive. And it has a chain or rope as a border. Looks like a five pointed crown. I did a search for 1601 lead seal beehive crown sword but did not come up with anything. You may find something with a different combination. Vfox is right the world coin section may be a better fit. Some one may recognize the design. Also you may add "heraldry" in to some combination of the words I used like beehive crown sword heraldry or a combination. BTW you may want to save the picture I put on my photobucket page on yours. Every so often I purge some pictures it it.

288zjsy1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to ask where did you find it? I see you are from Romania. You may try that in the mix like beehive Romania etc. Maybe coat of arms? It may also help someone else here figure it out.

I bought it from someone from Romania. He doesen`t remeber where he has it from. Still, I don`t think it`s from this area...

Archived