CoinPeople.com

Any luck at Osnabrück???

bobh

Looks like these will soon be heading my way. :bhyper:

I was VERY tempted to go there to bid on some Alexander III coins, but decided to save the money for the trip and invest it in these coins instead:

Not in great condition, nor is it rare, but a decent coin for a fair price (these days, that is):

Silver Baroque 5 kopecks, 1758-SPB

Hard to find these in such good condition ... this one has a bit of the "greenies", but nothing that a prolonged soak in olive oil won't cure:

Copper 5 kopecks, 1760 (Elisabeth, no mintmark) (NOTE: if you absolutely must "try this at home", be sure to use extra virgin olive oil which has only about 0.5% fatty acids compared to the cheaper sort which can have 2% or more acid content ... and experiment with a cheaper coin before you do it on anything else!)

And finally, a very nice better-date AM mintmark pyatak with great detail, although a tad splotchy in the fields:

Copper 5 kopecks, 1796-AM

Unfortunately, not much in the way of Nicholas II was offered which I was interested in, although there was a very rare 1901 25 kopeck coin and a nice selection of commemorative coins in the offerings.

Ooh, that's very nice! :bthumbsup: Makes me want to think about starting up a little jeton collection of my own. :crazy:

What was the occasion for the Tsarina having this piece made?

I realy liked this one, but not for the price it sold:

http://www.sixbid.com/nav.php?p=viewlot&sid=410&lot=7121

Yes, for that estimate it would have been very nice! (750 €)

But 6500 € ??? :swoon:

Ooh, that's very nice! :bthumbsup: Makes me want to think about starting up a little jeton collection of my own. :crazy:

What was the occasion for the Tsarina having this piece made?

Thanks guys.

The occasion was - Peace with Turks restored (abbreviated in exergue)

Not the first time I see a fake sold there, but this is the first time that the fake is so obvious:

http://www.sixbid.com/nav.php?p=viewlot&sid=410&lot=7235

I have questions as to few other coins. For instance, lot 7024 just does not feel right. Anyone saw this in person?

Can someone look up PR for 7214? I cannot find the link.

Not the first time I see a fake sold there, but this is the first time that the fake is so obvious:

http://www.sixbid.com/nav.php?p=viewlot&sid=410&lot=7235

I have questions as to few other coins. For instance, lot 7024 just does not feel right. Anyone saw this in person?

Can someone look up PR for 7214? I cannot find the link.

Link to PR: Website PR

as PDF file: PDF of prices realized

Lot 7235: not sold

Lot 7024 (Peter I rouble 1723, Krasniy Monetniy Dvor, Moscow): description says "Min.(imal?) justiert" which I interpret to mean "slight tooling". However, this could conceivably also apply to possible filing marks (not visible in auction pictures) to adjust the weight.

PR: 6,750 €

Lot 7214: 300 € (Moldavia, Para - 3 dengi)

:art:

Nice! :bthumbsup: I like the patina ... hard to find coins of this age which haven't been cleaned before. I think this one probably was not cleaned, and it is in such good shape.

Nice! :bthumbsup: I like the patina ... hard to find coins of this age which haven't been cleaned before. I think this one probably was not cleaned, and it is in such good shape.

Thanks. I certainly hope it is a gradable coin. We will see to that when it arrives.

And the price seems OK (I actually thought that even before seeing this coin here)

I actually was surprised to win this coin. Price is not cheap but more reasonable then on most of coins in this auction. After 15% buyers premium + 2.5% PayPal fee + euro to dollar conversion + shipping I have to pay around $300. I planned to pay for this coin type in this condition around $250 but could not find anything in decent grade.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived