CoinPeople.com

Can anyone help?

andyfries

I have a tubular hunk of metal and weighs 8.79 oz, appears to be gold or maybe brass. I did the magnet trick and the magnet did not stick to it. It has 5 punch marks on it. The top mark looks to be a crown over the letter "G" or maybe "C", the right mark is the letter "K", the bottom has the date of "1812", the left mark is "1/2 P", and the center mark looks to be a castle or Mediterranean palace. I have been unable to find any information on the piece from shops or online. I decided to post on here to see if someone might know something about it. The pictures are to large to upload but here is the link to see them. http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z334/andyfries/ also my email is fries_andy@yahoo.com. Thanks

The Danish king at this time was Frederik IV.

Thanks for clearing that up! I'm not familiar with the Scandanavian countries, but remembered that some had a number of "Christian" Kings.

Thanks for the information guys, if the "G" Stand for King George III of England then I dont understand the middle eastern palace in the middle? Atleast it looks more middle eastern to me than it does a castle. I cant find that mark in any book.

Very nice.

I would try emailing this site LINK

It does look like a George III 'weight' but 1/2 a pound is 8 ounces, & as is normal written 1/2lb, perhaps back then they used a P.

Thanks, I emailed them and hopefully they will be able to let me know more about the item.

Considering that a 'weight' can not increase but can lessen due to wear, your weight could have been originally 8.8 ounces, which is 1/2 a metric pound or a pond. Known also as a Amsterdam pound. It still could be English(George III) but used for weighing imported Dutch goods or even German, because in German the term is Pfund.

That would explain the 1/2 P & the crowned G. The date 1812 would probably mean 'Dutch goods' because of the Napoleonic wars.

One other possibility is the crowned G is for Guillelmus the Latin for William, William of Orange-Nassau Dutch Prince & so is a Dutch weight for the Amsterdam Pound.

My final guess is it could be from Hanover, being German the 'P' would be for Pfund & the British king, George III, was its ruler.

As for the 'K' it could just be a month date letter, so Oct. or Nov. depending if they used the letter 'J' yet.

Very interesting!

• 4 weeks later...

The heraldic image for Antwerp matches your weight, What you described as "the center mark looks to be a castle or Mediterranean palace" image from probertencyclopaedia.com.

Arms%20of%20Antwerp.jpg

So I am pretty sure it is a '1/2 Antwerp Pound Weight' & therefore the crowned 'G' is for Guillelmus, the Latin for William, William of Orange-Nassau, who became William I of the Netherlands.

A fantastically interesting piece and wonderful insight from Pat. Many thanks for sharing and please let us know the ultimate outcome.

Archived