CoinPeople.com

LOUIS PHILIPPE I ROI DES FRANCAIS.

DSCN2695.jpgDSCN2694.jpg

Obv: LOUIS PHILIPPE I ROI DES FRANCAIS, signed Caque.F under the bust.

Rev: * SEINE ET MARNE * ARONDts DE MELUN, FONTAINEBLEAU ET PROVINS around a wreath, inscribed within the wreath CONCURS DE 1845/ 1re MENTION / POULICHES./M.GAREAU/ DE BREAU. Engraved by Caque 69mm very high relief.

Edge: BRONZE Pointing Hand. Original strike.

Agricultural/Livestock Show Medal for 1845 awarded to M. Gareau of Breau(has a nice poetic ring to it) for best filly.

'LP 1' should have won a medal for best sideburns.

Thanks! The relief isn't as high as I expected which makes 1) the design and 2) your initial photographs/skills that more remarkable. Also, how could such a lovely slab of bronze have no decorations on the edge?

Thanks! The relief isn't as high as I expected which makes 1) the design and 2) your initial photographs/skills that more remarkable. Also, how could such a lovely slab of bronze have no decorations on the edge?

The reason we know it's an original strike is because of the punch mark mentioned at the top. These "poincons" are a great tool for dating French strikes. Because of this (in part) you usually don't see edge decoration. The occasional herringbone on a jeton but not usual on full size medals. Too bad too...

Thanks! The relief isn't as high as I expected which makes......your initial photographs/skills that more remarkable.

How I wish that was true :cry: , those pics I posted just failed to show the relief correctly. Here is another go, which does illustrate it better. DSCN2709.jpg

Archived