CoinPeople.com

What are your thoughts on "strange" coins?

Tiffibunny

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1)If it ain't real coinage, it does nothing for them.

This is me. However like Tiff i'm picky, not all REAL coinage entertains me that much. And i do like some odd 'coins' but it's got to be something really good. I say 'coins' in quote marks because at this moment i'm thinking of some of those gorgeous medals i've seen. Personally i would never buy one because they're not coins, but some of the designs are awe-striking. Especially some of the coronation medals and the stuff produced by the Vatican from the election of a new Pope.

Why i don't buy them though is because all of my coins have to answer this question "who spent it and what could this have bought?"

While I find the Non-Circulating Legal Tender [NCLT] items very interesting, a part of me would like to see one of'em with Honest-to-God wear from actually being used.

Heck, I'd like to use a Republic of the Marianas Islands coin to pay for a meal or at least a drink. This, of course, would mean that I'd have to actually BE in the RMI to do it. HA! HA!

I doubt if there is much of anything to buy in Nauru, so If I had one [or many] of their 'country' or 'continent' shaped pieces, there would be nothing there to spend it on except a plane ticket to leave there...

I have usually come across one of two kinds of collectors: 1)If it ain't real coinage, it does nothing for them.

I'm that way to a certain extent in that, to me, a coin is real if it's struck in precious metal. Modern fiat coinage is what I classify as "fake stuff".

Archived