CoinPeople.com

What are your thoughts on "strange" coins?

Tiffibunny

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy some of the more unconventional coins. However, I usually try to avaoid those issues that come from those coin-minting lunatics like Isle of Man, Marshall Islands, and that ilk.

I think colored coins, if doen well, can look good. I thought the new Canadian 25-cent piece was tasteful. The Belarus commes that T'bunny has are okay in my book too; they are not randomely colored, but the color replicates the actual colors of the medals pictured.

The country shaped coin is a bit too much for me. I prefer my coins (and other things as well) to be round. :ninja:

Let us not forget that in Canada...

These were meant for circulation and did/are circulating to a point.  :ninja:

I heard they were distributed through the Tim Horton's coffee shops (unless I am confusing them). I always wanted one but could not convince any of my Northern neighbors to score one for me - not sure why I wanted one though.

I heard they were distributed through the Tim Horton's coffee shops (unless I am confusing them).  I always wanted one but could not convince any of my Northern neighbors to score one for me - not sure why I wanted one though.

Yep, that's right.

They are *all* interesting..but I like "strange". Problem with them for me is two-fold: First, what I like about them is their novelty (the ceramic one is excellent!), so when the novelty wears off..... second, I sometimes feel like I am being exploited...as though they are just making all these coins just for marketting reasons (which is probably true to an extent) and I am not crazy about that.

Very good point. I guess for me the novelty really doesn't wear off. I look at them over and over again. I regard them more as little pieces of metal art. So I don't feel exploited either. But yes, they are marketed for collectors and not your average money-spender. :ninja:

I heard they were distributed through the Tim Horton's coffee shops (unless I am confusing them).  I always wanted one but could not convince any of my Northern neighbors to score one for me - not sure why I wanted one though.

Still looking for one? Drop me a PM with your address.

I'm still waiting to see if these things go from red UNC to red-brown, then brown. :ninja:

I'm not much one for strange or off the wall. With coins i like a bit of conformity and standardisation.

To me the thrill is trying to assemble a set that matches tone wise, metalwise and sizewise and hopefully design wise... so it looks like a clone army lined up in the drawer. But that's just me.

Still it's nice to have the choice if one wants it so i don't necessarily have a problem with them. Actually there was one coin i saw colourised that i thought was actually improved! That was a Churchill Crown nontheless... but as they say with that issue any modification is and improvement, especially when you drill a hold in them and used them as washers on motorbikes. (Yes it's been done!)

Although i do find enamelled coins a little appealing it has to be said.

That was a Churchill Crown nontheless... but as they say with that issue any modification is and improvement, especially when you drill a hold in them and used them as washers on motorbikes. (Yes it's been done!)

Ikes also make great lockwashers if they've been drilled and had a slash sawn in them to help them grip. Statehood quarters are good when modified in the same way if you need a smaller lockwasher. The MS70s seem to work best for some reason. ;-)

Ike dollars are great for target shooting, until you finally get the scope zeroed in, then I like the Jefferson nickel at 100 yards. They are useless any way and I am not to fond of Jefferson or Montecello. Just another two faced politician preaching one thing and doing another!

Speaking of hardware...I find many hammered coins to be rather strange looking myself. Many of them look like someone has already used them as a screwdriver, and in some cases, as sandpaper too.

Speaking of hammered (or tooled) coins, last year I found a 1909 IHC with the weirdest waffling on one of the edges and puzzled over it until I realized it had been pinched in a vise on one edge. I sent it to Art's rescue ranch for abused coins and have waited lo these many months for Art to realize what caused the damage.

Art, I got impatient and spilled the beans on that '09 IHC damage. ;-)

I like to collect coins that tend to be a bit different than most.

So, do you have one of the Slovenian tri-angular, tri-metallic millenium pieces from 2001??

silver-gold-platinum. not outrageously expensive, all things considered. this image is from an eBay auction with a price of €199 (about US$225). still too rich for my blood.

looking at the pictures, I guess it is only plated with the gold and platinum, as the reverse appears to be solid silver? dunno. just found it to be one of your typical "strange" coins, and thought I would add it to your drool list. :ninja:;)

bf_1_b.JPG54_1_b.JPG

eBay auction (German)

I might like it without the gold.  For some reason bimetal turns me off.  ...

:ninja: Forgive me for laughing, but on a coin thread about "strange" coins and with images of some 'peculiar' coins of yours, I just found it humorous that bi-mets turn you off! ;)

I can't help it.  I just don't like 'em.

That is totally cool; beauty is in the eye.....

It just struck my funny bone, because I have usually come across one of two kinds of collectors: 1)If it ain't real coinage, it does nothing for them. 2) Those that find non-traditional coins appealing (like myself and you) usually find all the odd stuff appealing.

Archived