CoinPeople.com

1815 The Duke of Wellington's Continental Victories, Great Britain.

I love the etching and the Imperial Guardsmen are great. I never have a problem with people, particularly fellow collectors, posting to "my" threads. I appreciate the information that is added as well as artifacts, other examples, ephemera...

Where did you acquire the Guardsmen? It's a very nice group. 54mm?

BTW, I think that is a scared-out-of-my-underwear tree...

Thomason No. 13

1812 The Battle of Badajoz, Great Britain.

993824.jpg

15mm

BHM 733 (888)

Two of the deadliest hours in British Army history until World War I were spent in 40 separate unsuccessful assaults on the breeches. Eventually another entry was effected, the breeches needed to be taken ultimately from the rear.

60mm scale, brought from a local antique store a few years back, really cheap if my memory serves me right, unfortunately the owner retired & the store is no more.

It's a great set, representative of nearly all the types except a sapeur with his shovel and a pioneer with his impressive axe and beard. :)

Thomason No. 15

1812 The Battle of Salamanca, Great Britain.

993826.jpg

15mm

BHM 736 (888)

Bramsen 1159

One of Wellington's finer battles Salamanca forced a major withdrawal by the French armies. As they withdrew they concentrated their much larger numbers, turned and caused Wellington to retreat all the way back to Portugal. The wild celebrations of the populace of Madrid on their liberation turned to disbelief when the British shortly left them to the tender mercies of the returning French army.

Thomason No. 16

1812 The Battle of Madrid, Great Britain.

993832.jpg

15mm

BHM 739 (888)

Bramsen 1161

And another:

1812 The Battle of Madrid, Great Britain.

901794.jpg

15mm

Thomason No. 17

1813 The Battle of Castelo Branco, Great Britain.

993838.jpg

15mm

BHM 755 (888)

This battle is so obscure I think this is the first time I've actually read anything about it.

Thomason No. 18

1813 The Battle of Vitoria, Great Britain.

993850.jpg

15mm

BHM 757 (888)

And another:

1813 The Battle of Vitoria, Great Britain.

900498.jpg

15mm

Thomason No. 20

1813 The Battle of San Sebastian, Great Britain.

993851.jpg

15mm

BHM 762 (888)

And another:

1813 The Battle of San Sebastian, Great Britain.

900497.jpg

15mm

Thomason No. 22

1813 The Surrender of Pamplona, Great Britain.

993856.jpg

15mm

BHM 766 (888)

Bramsen 1274

And a second, with a distinctly different obverse die:

1813 The Surrender of Pamplona, Great Britain.

901749.jpg

15mm

Thomason No. 23

1813 The Battle of the Nive, Great Britain.

993863.jpg

15mm

BHM 767 (888)

I collected two others of these:

898248.jpg

15mm

Awful pics of that one!

993865.jpg

15mm

In search for the third ones' image I realized I hadn't put it on Omnicoin. Not a great example but still...

Thomason No. 25

1814 The Battle of Toulouse, Great Britain.

993894.jpg

15mm

BHM 790 (888)

When Wellington won the battle of Toulouse the original reign of Napoleon I truly was over. His abdication soon followed and the First Restoration with its horrible Bourbon mistakes began. Mudie had this beautiful piece created for his set in 1820:

1814 The Battle of Toulouse, Great Britain.

898486.jpg

41mm

BHM 789

Bramsen 1384

d'Essling 1457

Eimer 37

More nice medals. I was wondering when these medals were actually issued. I didn't find that in the posts, sorry if I overlooked it.

More nice medals. I was wondering when these medals were actually issued. I didn't find that in the posts, sorry if I overlooked it.

Yeah, they were issued in 1815 though I'm sure they struck them for a while. The individual medals are pretty common for the most part, the tube much less so. And at least a couple of the previous ones I had collected look like they might have been cheap (or cheaper) knock-offs, like Thomason 20.

That is a wonderful medal by Brenet.

After Paris was occupied on 31st March 1814. At the urging of his marshals, Napoleon abdicated on 6th April in favor of his son. The Allies, however, demanded unconditional surrender and Napoleon abdicated again, unconditionally, on 11th April.

So the Battle of Toulouse on the 10th April seems to be a rather needless battle, but word might have not reached either the French or Allied armies at Toulouse by the start of the battle. Or perhaps till Napoleon's unconditional surrender on the 11th neither side was prepared to cease hostilities. A great shame for all that were injured or lost their lives that day, but such is war.

NapoleonsSurrender1814.jpg

Napoleon's Abdication 1814.

Archived