CoinPeople.com

George II halfpenny

levan

Hello, I am new member of this site, recent times I brought George II halfpenny 1733, coin had very good patina but it is very suspicious please see images and help to ascertain is this fake? is this coin modern fake or old? somewhere I heard that during that times to many fakes were produced. (weight is not correct)

DSC_0021.jpg

The majority of evasions or copies were approx 40 years later.

Your 1733 is very low grade and probably worth the same (real or evasion).

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am new member of this site, recent times I brought George II halfpenny 1733, coin had very good patina but it is very suspicious please see images and help to ascertain is this fake? is this coin modern fake or old? somewhere I heard that during that times to many fakes were produced. (weight is not correct)

May I gently suggest that you forego buying this type of coin, but instead save up your money until you can buy a more collectable grade? Unless a coin in this condition is VERY, VERY rare, it is basically junk. Rather than buy several cheap coins like this, you could wait, save and buy something that would be more pleasurable to look at; something where you could appreciate the skill of the person who engraved the design. You'd be surprised. Work with a reputable dealer since most stuff on Ebay is way overpriced or counterfeit or both. If you live in the UK, there are lots of good dealers; wherever you live, I'm sure there are members here that can suggest a good dealer wth whom to work.

May I gently suggest that you forego buying this type of coin, but instead save up your money until you can buy a more collectable grade? Unless a coin in this condition is VERY, VERY rare, it is basically junk. Rather than buy several cheap coins like this, you could wait, save and buy something that would be more pleasurable to look at; something where you could appreciate the skill of the person who engraved the design. You'd be surprised. Work with a reputable dealer since most stuff on Ebay is way overpriced or counterfeit or both. If you live in the UK, there are lots of good dealers; wherever you live, I'm sure there are members here that can suggest a good dealer wth whom to work.

Well, that depends on one's collecting aims. As a historian (rather than art historian), I don't mind well worn pieces since they serve just as well in representing a type/era (etc.), and permit a collection to expand in more areas.

Well, that depends on one's collecting aims. As a historian (rather than art historian), I don't mind well worn pieces since they serve just as well in representing a type/era (etc.), and permit a collection to expand in more areas.

Well obviously there are folks who value anything, including a completely blank piece of metal. The fellow who posed the question didn't appear to have specialized objectives such as yours. I was addressing the usual situation that applies to most of us: limited bankroll that can be used to buy many lower quality items or fewer higher quality items. I know what it's like to want to spend as soon as there is something in the pocket. My point was to advise a more patient approach - one that, in my opinion makes for a more satisfying collection. I didn't intend to ascribe stupidity to anyone buying poor quality coins. Each to his/her own. This forum is for a free flow of honest opinions presented constructively, and that's what I tried to do. Thank you for pointing out the obvious that my suggestion doesn't apply to everyone. Perhaps everytime I offer an opinion here, I shall have to qualify it for those legalistically inclined.

Well obviously there are folks who value anything, including a completely blank piece of metal. The fellow who posed the question didn't appear to have specialized objectives such as yours. I was addressing the usual situation that applies to most of us: limited bankroll that can be used to buy many lower quality items or fewer higher quality items. I know what it's like to want to spend as soon as there is something in the pocket. My point was to advise a more patient approach - one that, in my opinion makes for a more satisfying collection. I didn't intend to ascribe stupidity to anyone buying poor quality coins. Each to his/her own. This forum is for a free flow of honest opinions presented constructively, and that's what I tried to do. Thank you for pointing out the obvious that my suggestion doesn't apply to everyone. Perhaps everytime I offer an opinion here, I shall have to qualify it for those legalistically inclined.

My post was not meant to be critical of the good advice you provided, my apologies if it was intrepreted that way. I did feel that "junk" may had been a bit harsh - what if the poster was a collector of very modest means who normally bought from 10c and 25c bins, and this was a "special" item that they spent $5 on?

Archived