CoinPeople.com

Some new Kennedy's

acan451

I think the US mint reworked a lot of its dies in the 1990s. For example Washington's hair on the quarters was practically featureless until they reworked it (and on state quarters it's quite distinct). And we've seen here what happened to the half--detail has been added that was never there on the original design (and I think they did a better job of it than on the quarter). I don't know if they did anything to the dime. (I admit I don't pay much attention to clad coins--I find it interesting that they've been out for so long now that many Coin People can find assembling date sets a (relatively inexpensive) challenge.)

I'm putting together a 1964 and earlier business strike typeset and will need a 1964 half for it... and though it will be cheap it will probably be a real pain to find one that hasn't suffered from being in a junk silver bag (or bucket!) since I just cannot picture a dealer selling one (that isn't a proof) as a collectible with today's silver prices. Maybe someone slabbed one once on a lark, but I doubt it. Time to search the junk silver buckets!

I think the US mint reworked a lot of its dies in the 1990s. For example Washington's hair on the quarters was practically featureless until they reworked it (and on state quarters it's quite distinct). And we've seen here what happened to the half--detail has been added that was never there on the original design (and I think they did a better job of it than on the quarter). I don't know if they did anything to the dime. (I admit I don't pay much attention to clad coins--I find it interesting that they've been out for so long now that many Coin People can find assembling date sets a (relatively inexpensive) challenge.)

I'm putting together a 1964 and earlier business strike typeset and will need a 1964 half for it... and though it will be cheap it will probably be a real pain to find one that hasn't suffered from being in a junk silver bag (or bucket!) since I just cannot picture a dealer selling one (that isn't a proof) as a collectible with today's silver prices. Maybe someone slabbed one once on a lark, but I doubt it. Time to search the junk silver buckets!

I think your best source for a pristine 64 half - not proof would be in a roll. There are many rolls that have been put aside since '64 that are still intact. Of course you might have to purchase the whole roll to make that work.

Archived