CoinPeople.com

squat dime

Is the squat dime mint damage or post-mint damage?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is the squat dime mint damage or post-mint damage?

• Damaged at mint - a true error
    • Post-mint damage

Hi guys,

A friend at work is the best kind of numismatist - he loves to sort through buckets of change (who doesn't!). Puzzled, he brought this one to me last week and I couldn't help him out. The dime has rolled rims. Is noticeably thicker and narrower than a normal dime. I can't think of anything that can happen at the mint that would cause this but the rim is very round and smooth, so it doesn't look accidental or like someone was tamping down the reeds with a spoon (as I've seen before). There is no visible seam where the rims meet edges. Nothing else seems fishy.

Here are some shoddy pics in hopes that you can help us out. Thanks in advance!

The offender.

DSCN2074.JPG

DSCN2089.JPG

Normal coin on the left.

DSCN2094.JPG

DSCN2093.JPG

Normal coin on the bottom. Note the thicker size and smaller diameter. Also note the smooth but rounded edge, the high rims, and the cladding showing.

DSCN2096.JPG

DSCN2095.JPG

DSCN2092.JPG

Take my word, there is no seam between the faces and the rims.

DSCN2087.JPG

DSCN2090.JPG

DSCN2102.JPG

Also, with the coin in hand, you can see the rim closest to the date is lowest (which corresponds to a higher rim on the reverse at the same location). The coin is worn but I think it's partly due to weak strikes.

Stuck in a laundromat dryer for a very long time. That's my vote, same as if someone was "spooning" the coin really.

Stuck in a laundromat dryer for a very long time. That's my vote, same as if someone was "spooning" the coin really.

My first real job was as a plumbers assistant for a company that also serviced commercial washers and dryers, and indeed - I would occasionally find coins with just that same type of damage in the roller drums of dryers. If they were in there long enough the details on the inner part of the coin started deteriorating from the constant cold/hot cycles. Just the other day I got a similar dime in change.

I'd go with post-mint damage. It appears to be very evenly rolled so I'd also go along with the dryer or some other mechanical "spooning".

So where in the dryer could it get caught to roll around like this?

I'd guess it was in the ridge of the drum. Most of the dryers that I've had have a small ridge around the front outside part of the dryer drum. Not sure how it would have gotten there and then literated. I had a quarter stuck in the air cage on my last dryer. You could hear it flopping around but I only found it when I replaced the cage.

Archived