CoinPeople.com

Loads of english a foreign coins

danp

I have loads of Old English and foreign coins but not sure what to do with them, I am not sure if any of them are worth any significant amount of money or if any of them are worth more in scrap metal.

Does anybody have any advice?

Dan

Sort them out by country and then go to the library and check the Krause World Coin Guide for values. Remember that silver and gold are way way up so also see what the content is. Anything silver or gold can easily be sold for melt. You might want to put together packages like 1 pound mixed and sell them on ebay or some such venue.

I have far to many to take a photo of them all I have Old uk One penny's ranging from 1888 to 1964 ish all circulated and some in not that good condition and about the same for Half pennies, I also have alot of foreign coins not so old.

krause is no good for british stuff, quite a lot of varietys that are worth a bit of money around

Yes, but that can be said for any nation's coinage. To use an extreme example, there are plenty of catalogued US varieities (Cherrypicker's guide and VAM), but is it really worth it to look for them? For a dealer or passionate collector who has time and deals with enoungh that it pays off in the long run, yes. For someone else whose timeframe is in the short run, variety searching (time and resources spent) is a gamble that is more likely than not to be unfruitful from a purely economic point of view.

1888 or later there is little in varietys anyway.

for pennies

1895 has 2 types look for the 2mm trident (it looks differant, the trident is smaller and further away from P in penny then the others)

1897 high tide, a few differance, the gap between teeth and shield is larger the sea is higher, if you have one you SHOULD be able to make it out also the O.NE (dot after o)

1902 low tide

1903 open 3

1909 1 to tooth

1908 colon after britt to tooth

and your H and KN's from 1912/18/19

1888 or later there is little in varietys anyway.

for pennies

1895 has 2 types look for the 2mm trident (it looks differant, the trident is smaller and further away from P in penny then the others)

1897 high tide, a few differance, the gap between teeth and shield is larger the sea is higher, if you have one you SHOULD be able to make it out also the O.NE (dot after o)

1902 low tide

1903 open 3

1909 1 to tooth

1908 colon after britt to tooth

and your H and KN's from 1912/18/19

To be honest its all gooble gook to me I get some of it but im no coin collector I was given these coins from my father inlaw and a friend I now have loads of them and not sure what to do. I just had a brain wave if I was to start taking photos of them and put them on Flickr would and posted the link here would some one be able to tell me if they where worth anything or just to chuck them in the bin.

Archived