CoinPeople.com

Overdates - difficult to show by photo or scan

sigistenz

I bought a cheap digital microscope (~$100). Pointing it to the coin shows the picture on the computer screen, all adjustments show on the screen. Once sharp enough, you push a button to save. Then the picture can be enhanced as usual. See below my first try, hope to improve. Overdates, difficult to show by photo or scan, become visible for others.

Sigi

(P.S.) The picture is my usual scan, only the segment showing the overdate is from the microscope.

5kop1765over4m.jpg

28394096.jpg

-

Sigi, can you please refer me to the place/site where you got it from? I feel for the purpose of coin pictures taking your microscope might be better then any cameras.

Me, too! :yes:

Nice photos, Sigi! :bthumbsup:

Me, too! :yes:

Nice photos, Sigi! :bthumbsup:

I bought it at Amazon.de (Germany), see their link below. I think it should be available elsewhere, too.

Pictures could be better - I'm trying to improve... :yes:

Sigi

http://www.amazon.de/DigiMicro-2-0-Scale-Digital-Mikroskop/dp/B002FB7IIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306090469&sr=1-1

-

wow! thats great!

what detail! I can see each individual copper atom!

what is largest image you can get at that magnification?

Hi Josh, it says 230x - but I am not yet familiar with the thing. I hope to show my overdates by and by but it is a matter of time.

How are you doing? Nice coins still raining down on you :grin: ? Best, Sigi

I bought it at Amazon.de (Germany), see their link below. I think it should be available elsewhere, too.

Pictures could be better - I'm trying to improve... :yes:

Sigi

http://www.amazon.de/DigiMicro-2-0-Scale-Digital-Mikroskop/dp/B002FB7IIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306090469&sr=1-1

Thanks, Sigi! :art:

I found a notice from a Linux user on the Ubuntu forum that this device also apparently works "out of the box" on Linux, so I will definitely try it out. Many times, the software supplied is only for Windows or Macintosh, and some cameras etc. just won't work under the Linux operating system.

:)

Hi Josh, it says 230x - but I am not yet familiar with the thing. I hope to show my overdates by and by but it is a matter of time.

How are you doing? Nice coins still raining down on you :grin: ? Best, Sigi

Hi Sigi. Not much here in new aquisitions.. :sorry:

Been spending my time raising my boy, now a very active and happy 2 1/2 year old! :bhyper:

I have seen those digital microscopes used for watch repair (yes, im dabbling in yet another potentially expensive hobby, yikes)but never thought about them for coins. The overdate detective work is a perfect application for them!

I would suppose the size of the image and mangification would depend on how close you can get to the coin and still focus sharply? Im sure you will make some great discoveries in your collection. Great photography!

Archived