CoinPeople.com

French Navy and Colonies

A couple of silver jetons. The first being a silver jeton issued in 1746 for Louis de Bourbon et de Penthievre, the Grand Admiral of the French navy.

991952.jpg

The second shares the same reverse design of the Argo, with the golden fleece suspended from the mast. In this case the coin was issued for the Navy highlighting its importance to the American colonies (Canada / Louisiana).

988445.jpg

IT appears a lot of the luster is retained. Is that the case in hand? Thanks for sharing!

The obverse is lustrous but actually quite weakly struck. The scan has picked up the legend very well. It is actually quite difficult to make it out with the naked eye. The scan has however understated the reverse. It is quite sharply struck, lustrous, and `stunning'

The second type (colonies de l'amerique) is much sought after by collectors and silver examples are seldom seen in the marketplace and even more rarely in higher grade than this one.

I love the Argo design. I've tried to snag an example of your second jeton on a couple of occasions, but I've never succeeded.

Archived