CoinPeople.com

Buying uncertified Russian gold without getting ripped off?

I am not really a coin collector, but I am a bit of a hard-currency bug.

I have the opportunity to create a small educational display about the history of money,

and I'd like to include both a pre-Revolutionary gold 10 rouble coin and a 10 rouble banknote from the same era.

Obviously, the message is that one has held its value much better than the other!

I have the banknote (cheap on eBay) and now need the coin.

Price is certainly an issue since my budget is limited.

I don't need an uncirculated or certified coin,

since part of the presentation might be to take both items out and let kids handle them.

It would seem a shame to pay for a holder that I am just going to crack open anyway.

But I'm wary of the least expensive, uncertified coins on eBay, because of good quality fakes like the one mentioned here.

I would not be able to pick a fake out by eye.

I would really appreciate any pointers as to how I might pick up a low cost 10 rouble coin with some assurance of not ending up with a fake.

Thanks very much for your help!

Find a local coin dealer that handles world gold. They should be help to help you with a higher degree of security than a random buy on Ebay.

Find a local coin dealer that handles world gold. They should be help to help you with a higher degree of security than a random buy on Ebay.

Since the coin in any condition is still 0.2488 AGW, you're looking at at least $373 for any condition, even a worn disc of what used to be a 10 Ruble gold coin. Plus given their appeal and hsitory and colelctability, there's at least a small premium. I'd say unless you have $400 lying around, this part of your display may need to be changed. Include a photo?

I'd say unless you have $400 lying around, this part of your display may need to be changed.

$400 or even $425 would be fine, but I can't find uncertified 10 rouble gold coins for less than $475 online.

That's about a $100 premium to melt, which seems a bit steep.

My local dealer's prices are even higher.

I'm looking for an online dealer, or private party, who is knowledgeable enough not to unknowingly sell me a fake,

and reputable enough not to knowingly sell me one. :)

Thanks for any suggestions!

you need some luck if ebay is your prime source/hope

place on your watch list all coins you find and you are free to consult with myself

which one you plannig to buy in your price range if you get lucky for your price :)

$400 or even $425 would be fine, but I can't find uncertified 10 rouble gold coins for less than $475 online.

That's about a $100 premium to melt, which seems a bit steep.

My local dealer's prices are even higher.

I'm looking for an online dealer, or private party, who is knowledgeable enough not to unknowingly sell me a fake,

and reputable enough not to knowingly sell me one. :)

Thanks for any suggestions!

You might find better luck with two 5 ruble coins. Much more commonly found, i believe.

and that way you could display one heads and one tails, for your exhibit. just a thought.

I owned a type set of Nikolai II gold coins that I sold, gees, I had the 5, 7.5, 10 and 15 Ruble. And to think I sold the all of them for like $450 or something on eBay about 10 years ago and thinking that I made money on them. I wish I had the coins now.

I'm never a fan of gold for whatever reason it is. Bought a 1900 5 ruble gold coin and sold it within a week for a mere 100USD or something like that. Still don't regret it.

Guess the best is to lower your expectation to 5 ruble gold coin as they are more plentiful and cheaper. Thing is, I'm pretty sure most buyers are more than happy to hoard them at 400usd each in decent condition and resell them at a profit. Just the way supply and demand is.

I got another idea for you; you go to dealer/s shop/s and take one melt 10 gold ruble on loan for some price and leave deposit or the full price they ask. As soon as your kids presentation ends, you come back to the shop and get your many back minus dealer interest.

All can be arranged on paper and you can tell them the true story what you taking this coin for! Let me know if this can be done in your area. Good luck ! :)

I am not really a coin collector, but I am a bit of a hard-currency bug.

I have the opportunity to create a small educational display about the history of money,

and I'd like to include both a pre-Revolutionary gold 10 rouble coin and a 10 rouble banknote from the same era.

Obviously, the message is that one has held its value much better than the other!

I think your message does not quite hold water. Neither item is legal tender. So neither can be viewed as money and subject to inflation or what not. I can show you 10 rouble bank notes that are worth thousands of dollars now. Does that mean that they held value better than gold money? I don't mean to sound preachy but gold is just a commodity. Today it's up tomorrow it's down. It has happened before, and it'll happen again.

I'm never a fan of gold for whatever reason it is. Bought a 1900 5 ruble gold coin and sold it within a week for a mere 100USD or something like that. Still don't regret it.

Guess the best is to lower your expectation to 5 ruble gold coin as they are more plentiful and cheaper. Thing is, I'm pretty sure most buyers are more than happy to hoard them at 400usd each in decent condition and resell them at a profit. Just the way supply and demand is.

I'm the same way, I don't find gold very appealing. It's high cost means the tiniest coins are worth $$$$$. I prefer the larger, heavier, silver pieces of Russian currency, they are much more appealing to me.

You might find better luck with two 5 ruble coins... you could display one heads and one tails, for your exhibit.

Wow, that would be perfect! It is so obvious a solution in hindsight, that I am red-faced that I didn't think of it myself!

Thanks squirrel!

Thanks also to the folks who sent me links to reasonably priced 10 ruble coins reputable online dealers that seem reputable...

that is exactly what I was hoping for. Though I think I will look for a pair of 5 ruble coins now.

I really appreciate everyone's help and input! :)

Wow, that would be perfect! It is so obvious a solution in hindsight, that I am red-faced that I didn't think of it myself!

Thanks squirrel!

Thanks also to the folks who sent me links to reasonably priced 10 ruble coins reputable online dealers that seem reputable...

that is exactly what I was hoping for. Though I think I will look for a pair of 5 ruble coins now.

I really appreciate everyone's help and input! :)

:art:

Speaking of Nicholas II 5 Rouble gold coins:

Does anyone know what highest grade in existence for this series is? MS-69? MS-68?

I beleive it's 68. It was sold on Goldbergs about 4-5 yers ago.

Do you know how much that went for? What's the premium these days on MS68, or MS67?

I can't say for sure about today, but I know that common-date 5 rouble gold coins slabbed by NGC as MS-66 and MS-67 were quite common back in 2005 when I bought most of my Russian gold coins. XF/AU common dates could be had almost for melt value; I paid just a little over $100 each for these two:

Russia_5_Roubles_1902_NGC_MS_66_obv_800px.thumb.jpgRussia_5_Roubles_1902_NGC_MS_66_rev_800px.thumb.jpgRussia_5_Roubles_1902_NGC_MS_66_slab.thumb.jpg

Russia_5_Roubles_1904_NGC_MS_66_obv_800px.thumb.jpgRussia_5_Roubles_1904_NGC_MS_66_rev_800px.thumb.jpgRussia_5_Roubles_1904_NGC_MS_66_slab.thumb.jpg

Most of my other coins of this series (bought raw) could be had for less than that.

• 2 years later...

Hello Suggest to you a good investment in gold and silver coins of Russia. Find any coins in Russia on your order. I sell modern, gold, silver coins Russian banks with official documents, through the international postal service. My guarantee: Communicate with you on Skype, I will send scanned, personal identity document - passport. I communicate through Google translator. All honestly and openly. My phone numbers are on Skype. Skype: numismatics.
Regards Andrey Andreev, Russia, the city Timashyovsk.

Hello Suggest to you a good investment in gold and silver coins of Russia. Find any coins in Russia on your order. I sell modern, gold, silver coins Russian banks with official documents, through the international postal service. My guarantee: Communicate with you on Skype, I will send scanned, personal identity document - passport. I communicate through Google translator. All honestly and openly. My phone numbers are on Skype. Skype: numismatics.

It certainly turned out to be a good idea to buy Russian stuff before 2003 and sell it afterwards. There was a bit of a drop in early 2009 but I understand that it has mostly recovered since then.

You might find better luck with two 5 ruble coins. Much more commonly found, i believe.

and that way you could display one heads and one tails, for your exhibit. just a thought.

well... recently I have bought the below 5 roubles ... 1900 (a common date) and I paid 250 euro in a UNC condition... I believe prices since 2005 have been raising up a lot .. coz the Russian are raking the market ..

I bought without certification but from an auction where it is almost impossible people sell fake... by the way, after you are on the market since long time, you understand if what is sold is a fake or not.

Let me add, among other, that UNC roubles if certified by NCG increase their value even 3/4 times more, thus becomes very expensive afford those coins.

fronte.jpg