CoinPeople.com

Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition Gold Tokens

Jules Charbneau designed gold tokens for the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition before he designed the 1939 GGIE gold so-called dollars. One DWT refers to a pennyweight. The largest piece, 1 DWT, is listed as a so-called dollar and represent one dollar worth of Alaska gold. The three piece sets were sold as souvenirs of the AYPE. Boxed sets are rare.

5617963763_279f8d0fa6_b.jpg

Very nice set! Do you know how many of those sets were minted and what was the process of minting on those?

I'm working on that question. The dies are hand engraved. There were multiple dies. They are typically attributed to M.E. Hart of San Francisco because they were included in a set called Coins of the Golden West sold in 1915 at the Panama Pacific International Exposition. I have an article ready to go showing that Jules Charbneau in fact designed the tokens and sold them through his father-in-law's store (where Charbneau was manager at the time) in Seattle. I think I know who actually struck the tokens, but I don't have proof as yet. I'm working on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you believe Charbneau did other designs for other "Coins of the Golden West"? I have a number of them, including some interesting Canadian versions. Never been able to find anything definitive on them.

Sorry to take so long to reply. I am on the road. I do not think Charbneau did the other designs. The British Columbia tokens were done by the Jacoby Brothers in Vancouver. I'll post an information link by another researcher when I get home. I think I know who made some of the othermpieces, but my proof is incomplete. I working on an article about the company that made med as, tokens, and probably the AYPE gold among other gold tokens. I'll post more when it starts to come together.

Excellent photos, thank you for posting. Having been on business recently in both Seattle and Anchorage, it's fascinating even today to see the connections between these two cities (and states for that matter). Seems like historically and even in modern times, Seattle is a "gateway" to Alaska (just fly Alaska airlines and you'll see some of this...). I drove 6 hrs from Anchorage down to Seward in May, and happened into the oldest mercantile store in Seward; the owner's grandfather ran the trading post + bank in town in the late 1800s, and it seems quite a bit of the Alaska gold flowed back through Seward and on down to Seattle. Collecting items from this exposition (Alaska-Yukon-Pacific) is more fascinating to me now...

Archived