CoinPeople.com

Elizabeth 1742/3 overdate ruble

coin1815

Hello everyone!

I need your opinion about 1743 SPB (overdate on 1742) Elizabeth ruble. The coin looks very nice, however I have some doubts about its authenticity.

The portrait is of SPB type but Elizabeth's head seems to me to be more likely of Moscow type.

The edge says Moscow mint. "МОСКОВОТОТО^^^МАНЕТНОТО^ДВОРА^^^^" is exact inscription.

174 3 over 2 seems to be overdate on the die used to strike this coin. On the obverse one can notice double line of Elizabeth's hair, forehead and

cross in the crown and letters in the inscription. Double strike?

On the reverse I can see some kind of seams on 5 and 10 o'clock. But I don't know what it is.

I would appreciate your opinion.

Link to the coin pictures

https://picasaweb.google.com/101325566058712251305/Elizabeth17432?authkey=Gv1sRgCMG1g7ytqoWiTg#

Thanks a lot.

Hello everyone!

I need your opinion about 1743 SPB (overdate on 1742) Elizabeth ruble. The coin looks very nice, however I have some doubts about its authenticity.

The portrait is of SPB type but Elizabeth's head seems to me to be more likely of Moscow type.

The edge says Moscow mint. "МОСКОВОТОТО^^^МАНЕТНОТО^ДВОРА^^^^" is exact inscription.

174 3 over 2 seems to be overdate on the die used to strike this coin. On the obverse one can notice double line of Elizabeth's hair, forehead and

cross in the crown and letters in the inscription. Double strike?

On the reverse I can see some kind of seams on 5 and 10 o'clock. But I don't know what it is.

I would appreciate your opinion.

Link to the coin pictures

https://picasaweb.google.com/101325566058712251305/Elizabeth17432?authkey=Gv1sRgCMG1g7ytqoWiTg#

Thanks a lot.

Fake.

This is an interesting piece. The Chinese counterfeiters have been making, for several

years, a series of Moscow roubles for 1742–1755. In this case, however, they changed

the mintmark to that of St. Petersburg. This is easily detected because the dies are

identical except for the mintmark and date.

Archived