CoinPeople.com

I need your help, please

Otto

Hello all,

As you can probably guest by now, this is my first post here. Although I have been collecting coins for over 45 years, I still consider myself a novice collector. One that needs help once in a while. I'm looking forward to learn from those of you that have more knowledge and experience than I and hopefully one day, can I can help others.

The link below shows a coin/medal/jeton/token? I need your help in identifying it. It appears to be bronze, has a diameter of 29 mm and weighs 6.56 grams. I have had limited success researching this "coyn" online. I did find a reference to the observance of this coin by Thomas Hearne in 1701 as reported in a book published by the Oxford University. See link below.

Please help identify this item.

Thanks!

Otto

http://books.google.com/books?id=vVoJAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA348&lpg=PA348&dq=provin+ger+inf+decr+pvb&source=bl&ots=zdL-zD2S5t&sig=14PPrm8ryIJcwKHuuyRwHIa5zyc&hl=en&ei=bsOkTYDPOIX6tAP26vX7DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=provin%20ger%20inf%20decr%20pvb&f=false

OldCoin004.jpgOldCoin013.jpg

From the Proceedings of the annual meeting of the American Numismatic Society, Issue 29, p. 46: the following jeton is descibed, which obviously appeared aroud the same time as yours and refers to much of the same events:

"May 28th, 1592, Count Maurice of Nassau by besieging Steenwyk, which surrendered July 5th, the siege of Convorde began en the 26th of the same month, and surrendered September I2th. Meanwhile Otmarse had also surrendered, hence the following piece :—

Obverse, Three cities. An arm holding a sword is extended overhead from a cloud. Inscription (translated), "The zeal of the God of battles has done this." Reverse, Inscription (translated), "Steenwyk, Otmarse and Convorde being captured and the enemy defeated, the Senate ordered this to be made."

Here's a link describing the history. The lion is the heraldic symbol of Nassau; the seven arrows represent the seven provinces of the Netherlands.

Frank,

Thank you very much for your assistance. Was the translation offered below conducted by you or did it come from the proceedings? Do you know what language it is? Do you know the significance of the roman numerials found on the bottom of the reverse?

Thanks again!

Otto

From the Proceedings of the annual meeting of the American Numismatic Society, Issue 29, p. 46: the following jeton is descibed, which obviously appeared aroud the same time as yours and refers to much of the same events:

"May 28th, 1592, Count Maurice of Nassau by besieging Steenwyk, which surrendered July 5th, the siege of Convorde began en the 26th of the same month, and surrendered September I2th. Meanwhile Otmarse had also surrendered, hence the following piece :—

Obverse, Three cities. An arm holding a sword is extended overhead from a cloud. Inscription (translated), "The zeal of the God of battles has done this." Reverse, Inscription (translated), "Steenwyk, Otmarse and Convorde being captured and the enemy defeated, the Senate ordered this to be made."

Here's a link describing the history. The lion is the heraldic symbol of Nassau; the seven arrows represent the seven provinces of the Netherlands.

Frank,

Thank you very much for your assistance. Was the translation offered below conducted by you or did it come from the proceedings? Do you know what language it is? Do you know the significance of the roman numerials found on the bottom of the reverse?

Thanks again!

Otto

The translation came from the website I found --but note that the jeton so translated is not yours but one very similar to it. It's Latin, and the inscription on the reverse seems the same as that on the jeton described on the website, except for the last three words, which instead of "the Senate ordered this to be made" say GLORIA DOMUS NASSOVIAE-- which I take to mean "Glory to the House of Nassau," a reference to Count Maurice of Nassau who led his army to these victories. The Roman numerals showing the date 1592 are typical of Netherlandish jetons of this era.

Again, thanks very much. Interesting history!

Otto

The translation came from the website I found --but note that the jeton so translated is not yours but one very similar to it. It's Latin, and the inscription on the reverse seems the same as that on the jeton described on the website, except for the last three words, which instead of "the Senate ordered this to be made" say GLORIA DOMUS NASSOVIAE-- which I take to mean "Glory to the House of Nassau," a reference to Count Maurice of Nassau who led his army to these victories. The Roman numerals showing the date 1592 are typical of Netherlandish jetons of this era.

Archived