CoinPeople.com

Lincoln roll searching finds

obsessedwithpennies

That's a great search. I haven't done a penny search in a long long time. I've been concentrating my searches on Kennedy half dollars. Want to finish my set and put away some extra goodies.

I've never had much luck with pennies. Usually a later-date wheatie every 3-5 rolls. Here's my best so far:

1953 with about 50% of original luster present

1925-D (? - too heavily corroded to be certain)

1916-S

And, the joys of the miscellany:

1945 Canadian

2006 50 Ore - Norway

5 U.S. dimes in the same roll

2001 Panama cent

2006 Mason-countermarked penny

Also, fantastic find on the 671 wheaties! Were they dug up from the dusty corner of a vault, or were they recently wrapped?

If they were recently wrapped and mostly late/common dates, my guess is somebody was cleaning out their change jars and either didn't notice how many wheat pennies were in there, or simply didn't care. Aside from the key dates of the series, the average wheat penny is worth anywhere from face value to about 25 cents. I've seen a customer at my work spend a 1936 Walking Liberty half because it "wasn't worth" trying to sell. I bought it from the cashier for $5, and she thought I was crazy for paying 10x face value for a coin. People are lazy, and for the average person, anything worth less than $1 is worth nothing at all.

I had no luck... well i guess that's just me! I just started this whole thing...

Hang tough. Roll searching can be very hit-and-miss. Part of the excitement is that you never know what's coming next.

I have searched whole boxes(2500 cents) and turned up one measly wheat cent - but it was a nice VF 1926. This week so far I have gone through three boxes and turned up about 20 wheats, the best is a 1941-S.

My best roll search came today, virgin Indian cents from a hoard. I found an 1860, two 1863s, one 1864 and five 1865s, an 1873, 1875 and 1876. But the best find in the bunch - over 600 in the tribe, an 08-S! :yahoo:

Wow... that is one of the best cent box searches I've heard of in a very, very long time! Congrats, Saor!

I actually picked up a partial box yesterday, and I was very surprised at what was in it...

More than 17 rolls of BU 2010's! All of them were in Dunbar Vault wrappers, so my guess is that bank got a box a few weeks ago, and broke most of the rolls to hand out to customers.

The rest of the box was hand-wrapped. Interestingly, about 10% of the coins in those rolls were also 2010's, although heavily circulated. Some 2009's were present in the box, but again they were in less-than-pristine condition.

There were a few keepers:

1974-S

1969-S x 2

And a rather ugly 1919! It looks like it was cleaned at some point in time, and then dirtied again. But it comes in as the third-oldest coin I have ever found in circulation!

Also, on a side note, I overheard a customer asking the tellers for any half dollars they happened to have, and luckily had 3 in my pocket that I intended to spend on groceries later that day. She bought them from me for $2 and refused to accept change! 50 cents profit! :P

I have searched whole boxes(2500 cents) and turned up one measly wheat cent - but it was a nice VF 1926. This week so far I have gone through three boxes and turned up about 20 wheats, the best is a 1941-S.

My best roll search came today, virgin Indian cents from a hoard. I found an 1860, two 1863s, one 1864 and five 1865s, an 1873, 1875 and 1876. But the best find in the bunch - over 600 in the tribe, an 08-S! :yahoo:

Congrats. That's about the best find I've ever heard of. Indians WOW!

Congrats. That's about the best find I've ever heard of. Indians WOW!

I didn't find them in my regular box searches. I purchased a virgin lot of Indians that were said to have been searched only by three 10 year old girls. And well, they must have gotten the '77 and the '09-S but they left me everything else. A couple of the '65s are pretty nice. Now that I got what I want out of there I am going to let my teenage daughters purloin the scraps. They can do their Whitmans from 1880-1908.

What do you mean by "a virgin lot of Indians" (besides the hilarious out of context meanings)?

Obviously haven't been too searched if I am finding decent examples of 1860's and 1870's dated coins and the '08-S.

You know, searching through coins looking for rare and unusual stuff is becoming more of a passion than buying coins. There is more the thrill of the hunt factor. I really haven't been spending large amounts of dosh on coins lately - evolving interests maybe - sort of like going back to the core of what it is that drives the passion to collect.

Searching through cent boxes from the bank though - my best find value wise so far for USA cents is the '11-D in VG condition that I got back ca. February, my best Canadian find is the 1925 that is in XF - the key to the small sized Canadian cents. I found that one late last year. Curiously the GV coins I find about 4-5 a year so that indeed makes that all the scarcer. I get GVI cents in just about every box. One box search back in January I found 28 of them in the same box, as early as 1937 and also had the 1947 ML. My Canada Whitman needs only the 1922-4 and the 1926-7 cents now. With the US Whitman I have a few of the semi-keys from circulation but those '09-S VDB will probably never happen in my lifetime.

anybody working on a BU roll set?

Truth be told, I'm more of an opportunistic collector when it comes to BU rolls. I ran into numerous rolls of '08s when I first started my job, but I didn't keep any of them on account of not being a serious collector back then. All I really cared about was wheat pennies, nickels, and silver coins. I regret not keeping a sealed roll, but I have more than enough loose coins that I cherrypicked from broken rolls to satisfy me.

2009 was when I started collecting rolls more seriously. By the time I started seeing the coins, I had already heard how rare they were going to be. When my bank got a shipment of the cabin cents, I picked up as many rolls as they would allow me to have. Later, my work got two whole boxes of log splitters, and I went to town on those. I managed to snag about 20 rolls for myself before the reserve ran out. I've never found an unbroken roll of the Prof. Lifer's, and I've never even seen the Presidency reverse.

Archived