CoinPeople.com

roubles 1830 What do you say?

MIS

An auction house lives off its commissions, and (usually) the commission is 15% charged to the buyer. Since they get a fixed percentage of what the coin sells for, there's less opportunity for them to simply underpay you for the coin then get the full value out of it. (Sometimes the seller pays the commission but that just means the buyers can bid more since they won't have 15% added to their bids; it works out the same when it's all over.) An auction house has every interest in selling it for as much as possible since they get a fixed percentage of what it sells for, and you will get 85% or more of what the ultimate buyer pays.

If you want a recommendation for a US auctioneer who will charge you only 10% let me know.

There are auction houses which also charge the seller a commission ... Hess-Divo, I believe, charges BOTH 15% buyer AND 20% seller fees (and probably 7.6% VAT on top of both).

IMHO, this is highway robbery! Thankfully, there are also auctioneers such as Jim Elmen who charges no buyer's fee.

Hello. On your advice I called by phone "Kyievsky", "Dukat". In Dukat does not do examination and give no official records. Said that I can sell a coin to them, and auction for them is not yet even pre-arranged. And they do not know when he will be. Kyievsky a museum does examination and gives a document.. But a coin needs to be left for them on a few days. It frightens me, here on a forum you wrote me that good copies are. Whether they conduct auctions, I do not yet know. In relation to "Khortytsia" to them I did not yet talk.

• 4 months later...

Hello. On your advice I called by phone "Kyievsky", "Dukat". In Dukat does not do examination and give no official records. Said that I can sell a coin to them, and auction for them is not yet even pre-arranged. And they do not know when he will be. Kyievsky a museum does examination and gives a document.. But a coin needs to be left for them on a few days. It frightens me, here on a forum you wrote me that good copies are. Whether they conduct auctions, I do not yet know. In relation to "Khortytsia" to them I did not yet talk.

MIS, did you have your coin graded, sold?

• 5 weeks later...

On top of authentication by experts with microscopes and magnifying glasses a special test must be done about the platinum itself. This is the case of Moscow Historical Museum, which will release the paper only when the tests are completed and they prove composition of the metal is absolutely relevant to that of original specimens.

For casual reading I would refer to an article http://www.platinummetalsreview.com/pdf/134-138-pmr-jul04.pdf

I am not an expert in modern spectrofotometry (though I was trained many years ago in school), but there is an idea about what is tested by modern technologies. The test result will reveal percentages of all elements present in the alloy in the form of grafical charts. So before Mr.Shiryakov writes the paper he will evaluate the figures about coin composition.

whether it is a proof or not (which makes a huge difference in how much it is worth).

Personally I would prefer a MS coin over PF, the reason is that many fakes are passed as proof-like. Besides I think there may be not so big difference in price between regular and novodel proof coins of 12 & 6 roubles series.

Archived